AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Wow. Sorry to read such a disappointing thread on a top of the line expensive subwoofer. Pfar, I hope you have figured out the issue. If not, just to throw my 2 cents in, I tried a Denon 4400h receiver and HATED it. Its bass was super weak compared to my Onkyo receiver which sounded much fuller throughout. I tried the double bass setting (I have large front towers) on the Denon and it did nothing. Returned the Denon and got an Onkyo RZ830 and that fixed my missing bass issue.

Now, I'm not saying the Denon 4400h sucks, just that it wasn't right for my set up. In any case, I am curious to see how this has all turned out for you. Did you return the PB4000 and get something else? What did you end up with? Did it solve your missing bass issue?

I don't care if your old Klipsch was putting out distorted bass or not. There is NO reason whatsoever that a gigantic ported 15" subwoofer shouldn't take your head off when you want it too.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
There is NO reason whatsoever that a gigantic ported 15" subwoofer shouldn't take your head off when you want it too.

I am afraid there is and it’s poor placement. No level of sub will overcome placement issues. The OP has been asked to check this several times but has yet to inform if he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Now, I'm not saying the Denon 4400h sucks, just that it wasn't right for my set up. In any case, I am curious to see how this has all turned out for you. Did you return the PB4000 and get something else? What did you end up with? Did it solve your missing bass issue?
I have no idea what the OP finally ended up doing but I at least can tell you it was not a receiver issue. He had plugged in another audio source (iPhone) directly into the subwoofer using 3.5mm to RCA cable and the sub exhibited the same issues.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I didn't see if he mentions the actual size of his room other than him stating that his room is small, if that's the situation then more than likely that sub is too big for his room. I would venture to guess that the bass sounds great everywhere else in his house/apartment.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When did the PB-4000 start using a 15”?

I think I got ripped off, mine are only 13.5” ;)

Wow. Sorry to read such a disappointing thread on a top of the line expensive subwoofer. Pfar, I hope you have figured out the issue. If not, just to throw my 2 cents in, I tried a Denon 4400h receiver and HATED it. Its bass was super weak compared to my Onkyo receiver which sounded much fuller throughout. I tried the double bass setting (I have large front towers) on the Denon and it did nothing. Returned the Denon and got an Onkyo RZ830 and that fixed my missing bass issue.

I don't care if your old Klipsch was putting out distorted bass or not. There is NO reason whatsoever that a gigantic ported 15" subwoofer shouldn't take your head off when you want it too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My SVS PB-4000's with added isolation pads

·
Registered
78 Posts
Placement is absolutely crucial! I moved my sb12 nsd into my basement along with the rest of my audio, which is q much bigger room. Bass was weak in my listening position, tried corner loading and subcrawl, wasn't getting anywhere.

I recall the guy from Acoustic Fields mentioned elevating subs, especially if you have multiple (I don't). But in the same position I elevated it about 2feet and that was the magic.

So if you cannot move it around, perhaps figure out a way to elevate it.

Also a handy app from Android is Spectralview, it shows you the intensity of the sound in your room, that can be helpful in finding a better position, you can either subcrawl with that or see what listening position would be better.

Good luck!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Get the Rythmik FV25HP. I have one and she does mid and low bass amazingly.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV25HP.html

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The negative polarity did not help.

I added the PEQ setting for 63hz +2dB. It helped a tad. I will run the REW at some point this week and post what I found.

Thanks everyone for the help so far.
There have been several posts inquiring what wound up happening with your PB-4000 or other subs you may have tried. None of them have quoted you so perhaps you may not know unless you get an AVS email notification so that's the reason for this post assuming your email notification is turned on.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
His last activity was 1-5-2019, so chances are he looked at this thread and choose not to respond further....hence why I posted what I did.
Good point. Didn't check that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you follow Audyssey to the T you'll be disappointed in sub output. This guy on YouTube has a channel called Subwoofer 101 that has some "hacks" to help you get your sub where you want it when using Audyssey. Check it out. At the end of the day though, you're essentially just turning it up. I think there are some taboo feelings associated with turning the gain knob pass half way... TURN IT UP!

Reactions: bill68

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Meh, waste of knowledge on this guy. He was told multiple times by multiple folks (on the first page) what was wrong, and he completely ignored it. I suspect if he moved the sub, the boss would "de-claw" him, so he just ignored reality, in favor of the fantasy that satisfied his need. Sadly, some folks will interpret this thread as some failing by SVS, when it is entirely the fault of the user.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #237 (Edited)
Hey everyone. Sorry for the delay. I didn't forget about any of this, I just have had other pressing matters come up the last month. As I stated in this thread, and another I had in the speaker section, I was most likely going to be moving soon. Well I took two weeks of vacation around Christmas time and really started looking at houses vigorously. I ended up buying a house. Since then, everyday I have been packing, so things have been crazy for me. Since I knew I was moving the REW test didn't really make sense at the time.

It keeps coming up that I did not disclose the size of my existing room or that I didn't attempt moving the sub around. I did both. The room was about 18'x12' (I may be off some - I forget). My room was very small, with no space to move the sub, except for moving it to the corner of the room. I did this and it helped some.

I ended up keeping the PB4000. Based on performance alone, I am still somewhat disappointed, though this level of disappointment has diminished some over the last month. For the price of the sub, I whole-heatedly expected it to perform better. I definitely put the work in to make this sub sound better than just out of the box, though I will update this thread once I move and get the chance to do the REW test.

I kept it for multiple reasons:

1. I really like how it looks. Aesthetics are the #2 most important feature of the subs. I contacted both PSA and Rhythmic to see if they would do a black piano finish. I even stated how I would pay extra and volunteer to be the trial for this coating. Tom from PSA had no interest and I didn't hear back from Rhythmic. I contacted JTR for more info on their subs and experienced awful customer service. I followed up with them three times to get one response. Then they never responded to my second email.

I invested in black piano finish main speakers and soon to be center channel as well, so I wanted everything to match.

2. I knew if I would return the sub, I would end up buying something that costs more. With knowing I was going to move, I wanted to try and reduce spending as much as possible. In the last three months I spent near $5,000+ on updating my home theater setup.

3. It sounds good, just not where I want it to be at the 45-75 hertz frequency range I mentioned. After running the REW, I will try to get some more help to get everything out of it.

4. Returning it with everything going on now was not realistic.

Looking forward:
The house I bought is much bigger than my current home. The house has an extension on it with a great room. This room is massive at 28' x 25' with vaulted ceilings, so I know I will need more out of my subs soon if I wasn't even happy with the small room I am in now. Plus the flooring is carpet.

Regarding the placement of the sub. I will have a lot of room to try different placement areas with the new room and will do so.

I agree.

I am afraid there is and it’s poor placement. No level of sub will overcome placement issues. The OP has been asked to check this several times but has yet to inform if he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have done so .. ;)

I have no idea what the OP finally ended up doing but I at least can tell you it was not a receiver issue. He had plugged in another audio source (iPhone) directly into the subwoofer using 3.5mm to RCA cable and the sub exhibited the same issues.
Correct. I did this multiple times.

I didn't see if he mentions the actual size of his room other than him stating that his room is small, if that's the situation then more than likely that sub is too big for his room. I would venture to guess that the bass sounds great everywhere else in his house/apartment.
I mentioned the size of the room and how I moved the sub to the corner of the room and it helped some.

I think this thread ran it's course....the OP bailed a long time ago. It's just one PB-4000 that a user had a bad experience with. It happens, life goes on, and it doesn't mean SVS is a bad product.
Never bailed. Just life took over. Never said SVS was a bad product, just what I experienced wasn't the best sound for the large price tag.

There have been several posts inquiring what wound up happening with your PB-4000 or other subs you may have tried. None of them have quoted you so perhaps you may not know unless you get an AVS email notification so that's the reason for this post assuming your email notification is turned on.
Thanks. This tag did remind me to log in and update. I saw it right away and put it on my to-do list for when I had the time to post.

If you follow Audyssey to the T you'll be disappointed in sub output. This guy on YouTube has a channel called Subwoofer 101 that has some "hacks" to help you get your sub where you want it when using Audyssey. Check it out. At the end of the day though, you're essentially just turning it up. I think there are some taboo feelings associated with turning the gain knob pass half way... TURN IT UP!
Thanks. I watched a few of those videos. I may have to find the one you are mentioning though.

Meh, waste of knowledge on this guy. He was told multiple times by multiple folks (on the first page) what was wrong, and he completely ignored it. I suspect if he moved the sub, the boss would "de-claw" him, so he just ignored reality, in favor of the fantasy that satisfied his need. Sadly, some folks will interpret this thread as some failing by SVS, when it is entirely the fault of the user.
Waste of knowledge? I learned a lot and even after incorporating these changes, I still did not see the results I was expecting. Also, I never ignored anything. You know what they say about assumptions...:eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My room is huge, easily the size of what you mention for your new place with vaulted ceilings and open to basically every other area of the house on that floor. One nice thing about a huge room is you have a lot of placement options. I managed to get my svs PB12/plus 2 right behind my master listening position and slightly into a corner. It is basically a near-field position at this point and that sub has more than enough bass in that location. According to SVS i'd need at least a pb4000 to equal my current sub, so you may be okay in a big room with a near-field potion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for getting back to the thread. I know there were a lot of people anxiously sitting on the edge of their seats waiting to hear what happened.

Yes please do give REW a shot. It will be very revealing whether or not there is an actual performance issue or if your expectations just do not match up with the sub's capabilities.

There are also other possible causes not yet explored. For example there may actually be a defect with the driver. Or something silly like some of the stuffing/liner got loose and is blocking ports.
It may even be something like your old power outlet could not provide adequate amperage to the amplifier.

I personally am running a HSU sub with a "flat" FR. It replaced a Klipsch sub which I returned. The Klipsch had a big bump in output between 45-90hz range but dropped off quickly below 40hz. This gave me the impression that it provided more output. The difference is that I was missing a whole lot of output and detail under 40hz. I think you may be experiencing some version of this. Especially when it comes to music as there is typically not a whole lot of content under 30-40hz in music.

Anyway congrats on the new house and keep us in the loop as to what happens when you get back to testing again. Hope you get it all sorted out.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
gratz on new home. I hope when you buy your next sub that you get one that blows you away. in a large room you will need it.

221 - 240 of 274 Posts