AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There is no need to do that with Audyssey which is what he has on his Denon.
Right on. I had read where people were recommending it is why I asked. That’s good to know since my AVR upgrade will be a Denon or Marantz.

FYI...this thread is working the hell outta my OCD. Lol. I seriously want to know what is going on here. I’m really curious now if it isn’t a crazy ass null that he’s in.

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
Right on. I had read where people were recommending it is why I asked. That’s good to know since my AVR upgrade will be a Denon or Marantz.

FYI...this thread is working the hell outta my OCD. Lol. I seriously want to know what is going on here. I’m really curious now if it isn’t a crazy ass null that he’s in.
My original thought was a null, and it still could be, but he is not sitting at or near the center of the room and the SVS sub is in the same spot as his previous sub. Not saying that eliminates the room from being the issue but even if he is up close to the sub or walks around the room it seems the sub is underperforming.

Honestly it seems to be an issue with the woofer or something else to me at this point. I feel bad for the OP as he paid a lot for a good sub and has had to spend countless hours troubleshooting vs just enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My original thought was a null, and it still could be, but he is not sitting at or near the center of the room and the SVS sub is in the same spot as his previous sub. Not saying that eliminates the room from being the issue but even if he is up close to the sub or walks around the room it seems the sub is underperforming.

Honestly it seems to be an issue with the woofer or something else to me at this point. I feel bad for the OP as he paid a lot for a good sub and has had to spend countless hours troubleshooting vs just enjoying it.
Yeah, it sucks that he’s going through this. That’s why I scanned back through the thread to see what might’ve been overlooked. And yes...too damn much money being spent on these new x4000 series subs to be having so many issues.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
I have also been following this thread, and I agree that it sucks when we buy something that doesn't seem to work properly. But, stuff happens with all of us (and to all of us). I have no idea what the problem might be, so I haven't tried to speculate, or to offer suggestions.

Personally, if I were the OP, I would be all over @David Charles offer to bring his measuring equipment over to help diagnose, and to hopefully fix, the problem. At least that will help the OP reach a definite conclusion about where he stands: defective driver, second consecutive bad amp, setup issue, placement issue, or whatever?

I would love for the OP to find the bass solution he is looking for, whether it is with a PB4000, or with something else. But, I think that, right now, some more experienced help would be worth a lot. :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I just got a PC-2000 yesterday and was having the same issues, low output, test tones like a whisper etc... I have a Yamaha RXA2020. I realized my subwoofer configuration was set to stereo. I switched it to mono and it sounds great now. Very different from my Mirage subs that I was running, clean and tight and it definitely goes low.

This actually solved an issue I've had for a long time where I thought one of my subs was really weak. Now I need to calibrate my system and I should be good to go.

I hope this helps. I feel for you man.
Anyone know how I can change a sub from stereo to mono with a Denon? I looked everywhere and can't find it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
d-rail34 said:
I’m saying this because on my Onkyo (AccuEQ), I unknowingly just ran the setup on factory settings. It’s almost a year later and I just found out that I had to set the speaker volume to reference manually (only has absolute volume)
Could you elaborate on the above point? I also have an Onkyo, but that's the first time I read something like that. There's nothing in the manual about it.

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
Anyone know how I can change a sub from stereo to mono with a Denon? I looked everywhere and can't find it.
I have a Denon AVR and I've never heard of stereo/mono for a sub (or subs). Sounds like you've done your due diligence and some gremlin is f*cking with you. Unless you're patient enough to get familiar with the UMIK-1 and REW, I'd pony up for the beer & pizza to have David Charles drop by and take measurements to help rule things out / narrow things down. Best of luck, hope you get this sorted out asap.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Could you elaborate on the above point? I also have an Onkyo, but that's the first time I read something like that. There's nothing in the manual about it.
There's nothing in the manual on this. I started searching around on the internet for topics regarding AccuEQ setup, and stumbled across that tip. It changed everything. I wish I had known about it MUCH sooner.

As far as what was recommened, was to use an SPL meter/app, 0-out the speaker levels, and then run the built in test tone on the mains while turning the MV up until you reach 80db (MV was set at at 90 :eek:). Then re-run calibration.

After doing so, it had my sub trim level set at -2db. Which was a total surprise concidering I had turned my gain back down to -10. So, out of curiousity, I played some of the Dolby demos, and it was absolutely slamming. I was hearing things that I haven't heard before from my LCR/Surrrounds as well, with much better emersion. I did, however, turn the sub trim down to -4 instead of turning the gain down. It just sounded too good. Lol

Also, I'm using @mthomas47's cascading x-overs suggestion, so it's making even more of an impact now. Thanks again Mike! :D

Reactions: mthomas47

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
d-rail34 said:
There's nothing in the manual on this. I started searching around on the internet for topics regarding AccuEQ setup, and stumbled across that tip. It changed everything. I wish I had known about it MUCH sooner....
Thanks for the quick response. So, to recap:

1. Turn all speaker levels (including sub) up to 0.

2. Using AVR test tones, only on the mains, keep up raising the MV until SPL meter reads 80db on each front speaker

3. Re-run calibration.

4. Done.

Thoughts:

Currently, my all my speakers read 75db at the MLP. Which is what any calibration software is supposed to do. What's the issue with this?

Also, why 80db? Why not the recommended 75db, or even 85db? It's great that your system sounds so much better now, but I'm not sure it was an AccuEQ issue in itself, maybe it was a particular case in your situation.

Finally, when I manually set the trim levels and raise the MV, when I run AccuEQ, it runs calibration on those settings, instead of resetting them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
Onkyos are a strange animal...

On any AVR I've ever used, none being an Onkyo, when you run the calibration it doesn't matter where the MV or speaker trims were set before-hand. I always assumed AccuEQ worked the same as Audyssey, YPAO and MCACC in that regard...maybe not. And if so, that is exceedingly strange.

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
5,233 Posts

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I have a Denon AVR and I've never heard of stereo/mono for a sub (or subs). Sounds like you've done your due diligence and some gremlin is f*cking with you. Unless you're patient enough to get familiar with the UMIK-1 and REW, I'd pony up for the beer & pizza to have David Charles drop by and take measurements to help rule things out / narrow things down. Best of luck, hope you get this sorted out asap.
+1

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. So, to recap:

1. Turn all speaker levels (including sub) up to 0.

2. Using AVR test tones, only on the mains, keep up raising the MV until SPL meter reads 80db on each front speaker

3. Re-run calibration.

4. Done.

Thoughts:

Currently, my all my speakers read 75db at the MLP. Which is what any calibration software is supposed to do. What's the issue with this?

Also, why 80db? Why not the recommended 75db, or even 85db? It's great that your system sounds so much better now, but I'm not sure it was an AccuEQ issue in itself, maybe it was a particular case in your situation.

Finally, when I manually set the trim levels and raise the MV, when I run AccuEQ, it runs calibration on those settings, instead of resetting them?

Thanks.
Correct

Not sure about the 75db levels on your speakers. Did you adjust the trim levels to achieve that?

80db is what was recommended. Perhaps it puts it closer to the 85db reference? I honestly don't recall.

Also, I believe the 75db rec is mainly for Audyssey setup, as it automatically bumps up +10db post calibration...IIRC.

Lastly...Yes.

It even had my distances pretty damn accurate. Even the trim levels for the speakers were pretty spot on. the only thing I did there, was bump my CC +1db.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Onkyos are a strange animal...

On any AVR I've ever used, none being an Onkyo, when you run the calibration it doesn't matter where the MV or speaker trims were set before-hand. I always assumed AccuEQ worked the same as Audyssey, YPAO and MCACC in that regard...maybe not. And if so, that is exceedingly strange.
Well, I think that's the case with my Onkyo as well. I'm a little baffled by d-rail comments.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well, I think that's the case with my Onkyo as well. I'm a little baffled by d-rail comments.
All I can say is that it worked. For whatever reason, it made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
Correct

Not sure about the 75db levels on the speakers. Did you adjust the trim levels to achieve that?

80db is what was recommended. Perhaps it puts it closer to the 85db reference? I honestly don't recall.

Also, I believe the 75db rec is mainly for Audyssey setup, as it automatically bumps up +10db post calibration...IIRC.

Lastly...Yes.

It even had my distances pretty damn accurate. Even the trim levels for the speakers were pretty spot on. the only thing I did there, was bump my CC +1db.
Once again, any modern AVR I've ever used, the speaker test tones are output at 75dB (-30dBfs). This is because years ago people complained that 85dB was too loud. :rolleyes:

85dB is not "Reference". It is actually -20dBfs from Reference (105dB peaks in the satellite speakers, 115dB peaks for the sub). ;)

I would assume...maybe incorrectly...that Onkyo's also output their test tones at -30dBfs.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Once again, any modern AVR I've ever used, the speaker test tones are output at 75dB (-30dBfs). This is because years ago people complained that 85dB was too loud. :rolleyes:

85dB is not "Reference". It is actually -20dBfs from Reference (105dB peaks in the satellite speakers, 115dB peaks for the sub). ;)

I would assume...maybe incorrectly...that Onkyo's also output their test tones at -30dBfs.
I definitely mispoke on that. My bad. :eek:

And I'm really not sure why it made such an impact on my calibration, but it really did make a huge difference. I mean, I had to at least try it out. Lol

161 - 180 of 274 Posts