AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know if I have authority to do this but I think it is a good idea to express the ideas of why you cancelled your samsung PB order? If you cancelled, did you buy something else?

(1) I was #89 and cancelled because:

(a) Lack of updates.

(b) Change of rules by samsung (they needed to charge me before my order was put in their system).

(c) Rainbows, Technical problems that others had, out of the box problems, too many SM tweaks.

(d) some members expressed that they had to wait a long time for their unit to be replaced or service.

(2) I ended up paying more for a 60" XBR and I am happy with the decision.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm #69 and would've cancelled if we (the wife and I) saw rainbows at the store. But try as we might, we couldn't see even one li'l colored sparkle. (Too bad if it turns out that the relatives see 'em! ;))

IMHO, seeing rainbows would be enough reason to cancel, all by itself. They can cause headaches even when you aren't aware of seeing them, according to some forum members.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Iwas #144 and cancelled because of the following reasons:

1) To many delays

2) To many reports of problematic sets

3) To many reports of poor service from Samsung

4) IMO the Sammy is lacking in overall ease of use(WAF)

I ordered the 50xbr800 and am very happy so far(I only received it this am but cable PQ is easily acceptable and the little bit of U-571 I saw was better than the sammy 507 I previewed it on. The wife loves it although she sees it as my toy more than anything else.

If TVAuthority offered the xbr I would have bought it from them mainly because I believe they gave us an excellent deal on the sammy.

I also believe that the wife and I would have been happy with the sammy, we were just tired of the uncertainty. Good luck to all the sammy buyers though!!!

Jason

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think i am #90, and i cancelled it when they called me up to charge my credit card.

Nothing to do with the TV or other parties. I really want that TV. But just under this economy condition, i don't think it is a good move for me to spend more than 3000 dollars on TV. Wait till the US economy getting better, i may start to spend money ... but i think it will be a while.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was #1 (I think). I jumped the gun and ordered the HLM507W on the powerbuy webpage before TVA announced the existence of the webpage. Search tools can be so helpful sometimes :).

I cancelled because I spent several hours watching DVD and football on an HLM507W. The motion blur on camera pans made me little nauseas. I see the same blur/focus/blur on CRT RPTVs with camera pans on sporting events, even on HDNET. I haven't stared at other RPTV technologies long enough to see if they have the same affect. I think that at some point I will get an HDTV and hope my eyes get used to the increased level of detail. I plan on watching the Panasonic PT52DL52, the Samsung HLM617W, and the Sony 60XBR800 when they arrive on display at the local B&Ms. I'm not done with this persuit by a longshot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I posted my cancellation details in the 11/22 PB thread. I too agree about the economy and possible Iraq war. We may be in for more trouble ahead and I feel better staying "liquid". I think the TVA/Samsung delays will harm them overall. Not handled very professionally since this PB has been around for 6 months. Customers today demand more...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I cancelled when they told me I could not delay shipment on 43". Had only viewed it displaying dvd wanted chance to view other sources. Glad I cancelled now that I am not under the gun with P.B. have more time to talk wife into a 50" set :) Also more time to view other sets such as GW2 which has become my no. 1 choice so far .

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wish I had cancled but I found no rainbows in my viewing at the store. Once i got my 50 home from the PB though they were everywhere. After like 10mins a viewing I will get headaches and have to turn it off. Im returning it to tva and getting the gw2, I dont think looks as good as the dlp but no burnin is a must, and have to eat the shipping and restocking fee of 12% :( :( :( :( Hopefully I can still aford the GW2 after paying for the dlp im not keeping.

·
Registered
533 Posts
For what it's worth-

Imagine taking 300 people into a single store, all with cash in hand, and asking to purchase a HLM437 or HLM507 unit. Take the largest B&M store in the country:

First, imagine the logistics of 300 people checking out all at the same time.

Second, do you think this store would even have close to 300 units?

Third, imagine people purchasing a unit, their credit card charged, and while the truck is on the way to this persons house, calling to cancel their order (it's happened a half dozen times so far with the PB - and no fees have been charged to the customer).

I could go on and on, but what's my point? While many things have been learned throughout this PB process, the point remains that this was a "Group" Buy. Throughout this process, customers, understandbly so, have demanded to be treated as an individual, all the while paying a "Group" price for their product. Does someone walk into Costco expecting the same "service" they might get from Tweeter? Of course not.

That being said, TVAuthority has tried to give each individual customer the same level of service they might expect from a "Tweeter" despite the lowered price.

Again - we are thrilled with the response we've received from the PB, and if nothing more, the pure amount of orders is testament to the power of the AVSForum. We hope we have shown that we try to accomodate each and indivudual customer with their particular needs within the parameters of the PB, and will continue to do so in the future.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I think you'll have more than enough chance to prove this point while dealing with a variety of issues reported in these sets after the sale, if Samsung attempts to continue to be as unresponsive as reported here by selected individuals in diagnosing problems with the sets and getting replacement units in people's hands when necessary (one report today was a dead set for 8 weeks, Samsung agreed 6 weeks ago to ship a replacement, and the set is just now being shipped--just one example).

I don't know if this set is any more failure/DOA prone than any other, but on 300 sets you know you'll get your share regardless.

Quote:
Originally posted by neiltvauthority
That being said, TVAuthority has tried to give each individual customer the same level of service they might expect from a "Tweeter" despite the lowered price.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Matt -

I'm not one who will stick up for a manufacturer, but on occasion the Samsung bashing has made me laugh.

Do people really expect that if there is a problem with their XBR from Sony that they will be more responsive? In all my years, both as a consumer and a retailer, I've come to learn they (manufacturers) are all the same. Throw in the fact that this is a very tightly allocated unit, and these problems are only exaserbated.

The fact that you can email directly the head of the DLP division, speaks volumes about the lengths Samsung is going to appease their customers. Try getting a guy from Sony on here or his personal email address. It won't happen.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I cancelled my order at the very beginning of November. I was concerned about the quality of the product based on reports from buyers. Its Samsung's first hack at DLP and decided to buy a HD direct view to tide me over and then move that to a den and buy a big screen when the dust settles.

However, I will say that every time I talked with TVA I was impressed with the people there. They were always friendly and helpful. As a now third party observer, I think some people are being a little hard on them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If only it were possible for those units that are in route to a PB buyer that cancelled, so it gets re-routed to the next PB buyer. All it needs is credit card and address confirmation. A simple call to the buyer's cell phone or contact number would do just fine. Just an idea.

·
Registered
118 Posts
haha anyone in the dallas area want to buy my 50inch so I dont have to pay 12% to restock it :) I got mine before the 200 price increase so ill sell it for the original price $3,169.00. only a few days old nothing wrong with it I just see rainbows.

·
Registered
196 Posts
TVA told me I was #144.......must have been a stock response, as I've seen at least 3 #144's.....anyway, I had no problems with the way TVA treated me, but

1 I was unable to see a 507 or any dlp locally

2 I was concerned about problems being reported by some members

3 I was (and still am) skeptical about Samsung products

I ended up buying a Mits WT-42311, and have been blown away with dvd quality with my Motorola DCP-501.....and it's S-video interlaced! Can't wait for HD cable in Feb '03, and as far as the TV goes, I couldn't be happier, and it was under 2k to boot! (Did I mention it's a Mitsubishi?)

Nothing against TVA, but when I cancelled the PB, I felt like a weight had been lifted off me.......no regrets here!

·
Registered
377 Posts
JamesElrod - sorry to hear about your rainbows. I don't know if I am correct, but I thought I remembered reading that TVA would waive the re-stocking (12%) fee if you exchanged for another set (you would still eat the return shipping which I imagine is a few hundred atleast). I didn't see any Sony products out there, but it might be worth investigating.

I have waivered on cancelling a lot, but since it appears mine should be on the road any day now, I am going to ride it out. I spent about 15 minutes with a 507 in a store and thought it looked pretty good and didn't notice any rainbows or headaches. Even if I see a few rainbows, I think I could get used to it after awhile, and I think the headaches can be cured with some backlighting.

This forum and TVA have gotten us a great deal and have been very helpful along the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.