AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another forum awhile back, but thought I'd look for suggestions here too.

So I was thinking about possibly trading up from my dual 12 ISD sub to an Ultra box, but I'm wondering if it'll be a worthwhile upgrade. The ultra driver is probably even better for the tunes, but would I lose out much on HT performance with a single Ultra driver over the dual ISDs? My guess is that I'd be losing some SPL's.

Or, is the Plus/2 enough of an upgrade to be worthwhile? I know I'd have more headroom with it, but is there any SQ difference between the ISD and Plus drivers for music? My guess is no, probably not.

Then again, I don't own a plus or ultra driver unit, so my guesses are just that.

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for the next step up the ladder. I'm not unhappy with my ISD sub, but you know how it is.. Heh.. I would go to an Ultra/2, but I can't jump up that many 'rungs' right now. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've just run a similar gauntlet, and thanks to some learned advice, ended up favoring the PB12/plus-2 over the Ultra box or cylinder.

Do a search on "plus" and/or "ultra" in these threads, and look for comments from Ed Mullens, craigsub, Ron S. and others... The new plus-2.2 driver(March this year) should be a significant upgrade from the ISD driver and close to the Ultra-2. The single Ultra would be nice, but the experts/mfg. seem to say for all-round purposes the Plus-2 is the one to beat. Just passing on the thoughts of others.

All the best,

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's great news, and I will do a search.

Does anyone know what was 'upgraded' with this last incarnation of the Plus driver?

Also, (a little off topic) has anyone had any problems powering a sub like that on a switched outlet? I've heard it mentioned that you shouldn't run high-power equipment on switched outlets, but I'm no electrician. My ISD/2 is on one, but I've not had any issues, though it doesn't pull as much as a Plus/2 would.

Now I'd just have to find a local buyer for my ISD/2. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
by switched do you mean the back of an AVR, a power conditioner or wall switch?

I would only power one with a switched outlet from a conditioner since mine is always on.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, switched wall outlet. I've got a Panamax 5100 plugged into the UNswitched of the two outlets, but I'm not sure if that would ever be a problem with a higher-powered sub. Or if the "always on" plug in a switched outlet isn't even an issue... just the actual switched one.

I'm still wondering, though, if the Plus driver's SQ is all that much more improved over my old ISD. I'm especially interested in its "musicality" as the strength of the ISD/2 is more than enough for my room (about 17x17).

I just want to make sure it's more than a lateral move as selling the beast I have now is quite an undertaking.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Get dual 20-39PC+ subs and don't look back!!!:D

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a newer PB12+2 in rosewood and it has been throwing a beating on me .

This this is better than I expected ...............and I was expecting a lot ;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think switched outlets frequently have transient surges which is the problem. Just use the unswitched outlet for the sub.

If you're upgrading from the ISD/2 you may want to go single Ultra and add another as funds allow, the plus/2 is also great but only you can determine how frequenlty/severely you get upgraditis.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm with capecod on this one. I had a 20-39PC+ previously and now a PC Ultra. The sound quality of the Ultra driver puts it a solid notch above the Plus, worth getting one now and a second one later if you're not getting the slam you want. The output of a single Ultra is pretty incredible though, plenty for me. More than I thought going in, and I had pretty high expectations.

Tim

·
Registered
701 Posts
I upgraded from a stock PCi 20-39 to a PCU and saw quite a large improvement... Buy an Ultra and save some more cash and buy another Ultra...you won't be disappointed!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.