Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone else had issues receiving the PBS digital signal this weekend. I tried to show off my new HD set by flipping between HDNET and PBS but I couldn't get any signal at all for the PBS stuff. Anyone else have this issue?

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was watching PBS-HD (KUHF) Sunday afternoon, and everything was fine.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by fredsal
I was watching PBS-HD (KUHF) Sunday afternoon, and everything was fine.
Were you using cable or OTA? I was getting no signal at all on 8-1 or 8-2. Guess I was trying around dinner time or so. I'll check again when I get home tonight. Maybe they screwed with their PSIP again and I need to rescan the channels. The DTC100 is a real pain with losing stations all the time.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went home last night, rescanned the OTA channels and still NOTHING in terms of Digital 8-1 or 8-2. Looks like it is gone as far as the DTC100 and my antenna are concerned. Oh well... I guess I would rather keep all the other stations in the 80's and 90's signal strength like they are rather than messing with the antenna just to get PBS.

Later,

Jeff in Missouri City

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had some trouble tuning in KUHT OTA over the weekend. It was there, I just couldn't get a steady signal. Since yesterday though, I haven't had any problems.

I can ALMOST catch all the DT channels without adjusting the antenna at all. I usually have to trade out PBS and ABC.

I'm NW Houston.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Folks.... Seems when they (PBS) added the digital SD 8-2 / 9-1 (read with mapping problems), the signals on all went to h***, most of Sunday unwatchable, actually no signal at all.

Also 13-1, 20-1, and 47-1 are not as solid as the were a few weeks ago. Wonder if this is just conditions, or they are all having some sort of transmitter issues? Sad 26-2 is so darn strong, and NO HD ;-(

Who knows, but it's fun to see all this.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey p
Hi Folks.... Seems when they (PBS) added the digital SD 8-2 / 9-1 (read with mapping problems), the signals on all went to h***, most of Sunday unwatchable, actually no signal at all.

Also 13-1, 20-1, and 47-1 are not as solid as the were a few weeks ago. Wonder if this is just conditions, or they are all having some sort of transmitter issues? Sad 26-2 is so darn strong, and NO HD ;-(

Who knows, but it's fun to see all this.
Cool, thanks Mike. Yeah, I have been having major issues with PBS. I KNOW for a fact that I was able to get it in last Friday because I have digital camera shots of the new TV showing the PBS feed. I tried at some point on Saturday and Sunday with nothing to show for it... just a blank screen with "Weak Signal" displayed. My DTC100 is no stranger to re-scan and PSIP problems though. I'll check PBS again tonight.. I tried again last night and got bupkiss on 9-1, 8-1 or 8-2. Analog 8 was nice and ghost-filled as usual, however. :)

Sometimes living a few miles from the antenna farm sucks. Well.. actually it ALWAYS does when it comes to analog reception. There IS such a thing as being TOO close.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Jeff.... It's been spoty since, was not able to record NOVA the other night, as the signal was so bad. I'm sure a bigger outside antenna would help things here, as I using a small outside antenna in doors with a preamp. I'm in a apartment, with two receivers a Toby DST 3000 and a Sammy 165, the Sammy always is better.

Take care and thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey p
Hi Jeff.... It's been spoty since, was not able to record NOVA the other night, as the signal was so bad. I'm sure a bigger outside antenna would help things here, as I using a small outside antenna in doors with a preamp. I'm in a apartment, with two receivers a Toby DST 3000 and a Sammy 165, the Sammy always is better.

Take care and thanks for your comments.

OK, just tried it again. Maybe it's the clouds that have rolled in but I am sorta kinda getting 8-1 and 8-2 again. The signal goes from 0 to 27 to 43 to 50 and then back to zero in a cyclical kind of way. Yee haw. :rolleyes:

Well whatever... as I said... PBS is great for the HD loop when guests come over, but I never really feel the need to hear what Macneil and Lehrer have to say. Plus, I'm still two months away from having to start getting used to Sesame Street and that ilk again. :)

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
224 Posts
I get PBS OTA, and 8-1 (the HD feed) comes in fine. However, everytime I try watching 8-2 (the simulcast of the SD feed), the picture freezes after a few minutes. This happens, in spite of the fact that I get signal strenth of 80-85%. I've never seen a problem like this. Has anyone else watched 8-2?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by fredsal
I get PBS OTA, and 8-1 (the HD feed) comes in fine. However, everytime I try watching 8-2 (the simulcast of the SD feed), the picture freezes after a few minutes. This happens, in spite of the fact that I get signal strenth of 80-85%. I've never seen a problem like this. Has anyone else watched 8-2?
Fred,

The guy that takes care of the digital feeds for PBS here in Houston is trying to help me through my issues as we speak. I directed him to this thread to show him that other people have the issue with OTA. I am starting to wonder if my proximity to the antenna farm is screwing with my ability to recive this digital broadcast the same way that it screws with my ability to view analog broadcasts. The only thing I can say for certain is that the only station I really ever have problems receiving OTA is PBS. Every other station is in the high 80's, low 90's as far as strength. PBS gives me fairly consistent dropouts even when it IS coming in. I am going to check for reception of 8-1 and 8-2 again when I get home tonight.

Mind if I ask what STB you are using to view PBS? I have both an RCA DTC100 and Samsung TS-160 and neither was receiving channel 8-1 or 8-2 at all this weekend or early last evening.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Jeff and Fred..... Interesting my signal strength here on PBS runs 44-51, though it does not seem to matter as to drop outs, that is, sometimes it works nice other times it does not. Could be a VHF issue, or their antenna is somewhat directional more north than west?

I wonder how many folks here (Houston area), watch the OTA DT's, I would think maybe more than watch cable (only some TW offerings)? I would hope all the DT stations know there are some of us watching and enjoying their efforts.

Take care...and enjoy some HDTV tonight, as there seems to be a good selection ;-)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I just used the DTC100 to re-scan all the OTA channels both with and without "Acquire off-air guides" enabled. Neither way sees ANYTHING at 8-1, 8-2, 9-1 or 9-2. The signal meter isn't jumping up and down or anything... it's just dead.

I also found a new station that I had not seen before. Channel 52 digital appears to weak to come in at signal strength 28. I will try to re-acquire stations with my Samsung TS-160 as well and see what I can find out there.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Jeff.... 52-1 is the DT for Ch 51 (maps to 51-1) mostly strong out my way when working, FYI and FWIW, my DST 3000 sometimes maps it at 52-1 a few others do this also at times, think it has to do with the PSIP data stream, which does screw up some receivers.

BTW I did look at 8-1 after work or 40 min ago, it was coming in on the DST 3000 but some drop-outs, bet the Sammy 165 would have been record quality, but it was a show I was not interested in. (see my other post)

Tale care

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike,

Well I rescanned with the Samsung box and it gets in 51-1 without too much trouble. It drops out every once in awhile, but not bad. PBS is still invisible as far as it is concerned though. :(

Crud.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi Jeff..... I was meaning to tell you, think it was Sunday, in the rain and mist, (morning) PBS was working like a clock just perfect, go figure? Sooner or later I'll figure this out. I'm wondering if there is a airport between Sealy and Mo City, that would account for the sometimes works other times does not? (except this would effect all the stations not just the one)

Well who knows, take care, and enjoy the HDTV selection tonight.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
My STB is a DISH 6000.

Don't forget to try out 8-2 (the SD simulcast). I'll be interested to hear if anyone else is having problems with it. The problem doesn't show up immediately; you have to watch it for maybe 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I rescan and try to view 8-1, 8-2 and even 9-1 and 9-2 (just in case) every single night. Thus far, I have not seen a single frame of PBS since 4/11/2003 around 4:00pm I think. Kind of depressing. Marty @ PBS was trying to figure this out, but I haven't received a reply in a couple days.

Oh well... I'm having enough other issues with the tv by itself to let the PBS thing slide for a little while.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
fredsal.... Yes if it work at all I see the drop outs after some time, all the time, FWIW, actually all the bad issues started after they went to the second SD feed, well I'm sure I did not say that right, but was mostly OK before the digital SD feed started?

Take care......

·
Registered
224 Posts
Iceblade - I have a friend who lives in Missouri City who gets PBS just fine. He is using an attic mounted, Radio Shack yagi antenna that is UHF-only. It works even though PBS is broadcast on VHF channel 9. His STB is a DISH6000.

The antenna he uses is his third. He started with a cheap set top antenna, then tried a better one (silver sensor), then finally the RS yagi.

Since you live in a similar area - which is close to most of the broadcast towers, I'd suggest your problem is the antenna.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.