Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm watching PBS DTV (KCET) and the picture briefly breaks up every 30 seconds or so. Since I get a signal strength of about 90 on my Dish 6000 8VSB I'm kind of supprised. I live in north county San Diego about 90 miles from LA, but since I'm on a hill, right on the coast, I get a very strong signal from my Winegard VHF/UHF antenna. I wonder if there is some way I can improve this - perhaps a better UHF antenna or a amplifier. Any ideas?

The picture is actually great, except for the break ups.

Thanks,

------------------

wayne-o

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is the signal a constant 90?

I get about 80 on mine (dish 6k w/KCET), but sometimes it dips down below 60 and breaks up. I'm about 5 miles from Mt. Wilson.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The signal varies between 84 and 92, mostly around 89. Of course I'm sure the is an average signal level being displayed. Who knows what the instantaneous levels are. The picture is fantastic between hickups though.

------------------

wayne-o

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just KCET. Only started seeing it when they stopped multicasting and went to HD on 59.b

------------------

wayne-o

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had it running for the last 20 minutes, and have noticed some breakups here, which I wasn't getting a few nights ago.

In the HDTV software forum, there is a thread on KCET showing HD instead of the multicasting in order to save on energy. I wonder if the transmitter is running at lower power.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm in Fountain Valley (Orange County) about 42 miles south of Mt. Wilson. All HDTV channels (including KCET-HDTV) are coming in rock solid.

Don

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Here in Portland OR, I get the local PBS station with a good 80 on my DTC100. But a while ago, while I was watching a Niagra Falls special, it was breaking up so bad that I gave up and watched the analog version.

However, after the show was over and they went back to the usual demo loop feed, there were no more breakups. I conclude that, in this case, the station was at fault. (Never did get around to reporting it.)

So the moral is: breakups are not always due to transmission problems.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.