AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard that the PBS series, "Evolution" was supposed to be 1080i HDTV. Here in Charlotte, at least, it's not. Just plain ol' widescreen standard. Anyone getting this in HD?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Seems like a mixture here in Detroit. There was no picture/sound right up until 9:00, but then it flipped on. Interesting mixture of entertainment and science show... well, by my judgement. My 10 year old lost interest. He would have loved just the science part.

For those that watched: "Given the choice... I'd choose the ape" HA! Good one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I thought the program was philosophically thought provoking.

From a video point of view, there were a great variety of differing picture qualities. Some graphics and interviews, as well as some nature footage , were definitely HD. While other shots looked more like widescreen SD.

Overall, definitely worth watching. Can't wait until next week.

Scott

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I too enjoyed the program very much though the PQ seemed much below PBS's norm. Perhaps because it was film based. Anyway, much of it was soft enough to appear to be upconverted 1080i. It was shown on our cable's ETV's HD channel vice the SD channel where they normally show widescreen SD.

Bruce

ps: Thanks Scott for the heads up on the broadcast

·
Registered
28,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, this isn't HDTV as I know it here in Charlotte. WTVI is showing this in a widescreen window letterboxed into a 16x9 frame with black bars all around. "Real" HDTV letterbox fills the whole screen left to right, black bars only on top & bottom.

That being said, it's awfully sharp and clear through my 32" Sony XBR400 component inputs. Usually standard digital looks better through the s-video input.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I saw episode 1 of this a while back and WPBT-DT in Miami was carrying it in native 1080i. It was in HD, but the film segments looked like 16mm and didn't meet our normal "range of expectations" for film-based HD when sourced from 35mm film. The computer-generated graphics looked perfect.

·
Registered
28,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave, was it full-bore widescreen, filling your screen left to right (without using your STB or HDTV to zoom), or was it letterboxed into a 16x9 frame like here in Charlotte? That's why I was wondering if it was an Hi-Def production. Looked good, but I'm used to seeing the screen filled left to right with black bars on the top and bottom for HD broadcasts.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It was 16:9, full -screen 1080i. Given the quality of the computer-generated animated graphics within the show, I am convinced that this is a genuine 1080i HD production that happened to feature a lot of 16mm film, acounting fo the soft appearance of the filmed segments. What your local station did may be completely different.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
Dave, was it full-bore widescreen, filling your screen left to right (without using your STB or HDTV to zoom), or was it letterboxed into a 16x9 frame like here in Charlotte? That's why I was wondering if it was an Hi-Def production. Looked good, but I'm used to seeing the screen filled left to right with black bars on the top and bottom for HD broadcasts.
The government should mandate that all engineers attend a "this is the way to broadcast digital signals" workshop. All these different interpretations of what is supposed to be a "standard" (all 720p & 1080i transmissions are supposed to be 16:9) are simply ridiculous. I'm all for democracy but leaving it up to the individual stations is absurd. Where does quality control come in?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.