AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night at 7:20 pm I turned on PBS in Philadelphia (WHYY-DT), which I receive over the air.

To my surprise, they were broadcasting a show with dolby digital 5.1 sound. I have never seen that before on PBS and have seen (err, heard) it only on ABC in Philadelphia (WPVI).

Is this something new for PBS (and/or for WHYY)? I could care less about the show -- it was something like "Jesus and Art", but I would like more 5.1 surround HDTV broadcasts.

Or is it just infrequent on PBS that they utilize dolby 5.1 surround?

Eric

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
It's nothing new. But as you note it's been infrequent over the years. Just depends on the program.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Correct. The Piano Grand special was in 5.1 and was Jesse Norman's Christmas special as well as the various HD Nova programs as well as a few others like the whale special. They have been few and far between but have been on.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The digital output I get from my SIR-T150 STB from my local PBS station (WMPT-DT in Annapolis, MD) is rarely any good. For select programs it's OK, but for the usual loop that they run most of the day, it breaks up and drops in and out all the time. I don't know if this is a PBS problem, a problem with WMPT-DT, a problem with the way my Denon receiver is decoding it (coax input), or what. I usually have to switch to the L/R analog outputs from my STB in order to get stable sound - through either my receiver or the TV.

I have never seen DD from WMPT-DT, but maybe it's just because I haven't tuned in to the right program. I've also taken to keeping my receiver off (and just using the analog TV audio) when watching PBS anyway, since the sound breaks up on most of their content.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.