AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently upgraded my local antenna and am now getting a nice clear PBS feed. I have heard that they have some excellent HDTV content, but have yet to see a single show broadcast in HD. Can anyone tell me when they broadcast, or give me a link to a website that lists the HD content available (specific to PBS)? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
PBS has backed way off of HDTV. Early on, it seemed that they would be a leader. Now the commercial networks are doing much more HD than PBS. Hopefully they will begin to play catch up sometime soon.

Roy

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
royrose,

What is your basis for saying that? I only use PBS as a demo channel, and have only had HDTV since August so I don't know what they used to offer. But I imagine PBS is quite limited in its ability to get content (it can't buy rights to NFL games, for instance), but I would have thought this would be the case from day one.

·
Registered
830 Posts
PBS has a bounty of cultural, scientific and travel oriented shows that would look awesome in HD. Why isn't a show like "Nova" broadcast in HD every week, instead of only one or two shows per year? Further, the affiliates in my area, like WHYY-DT, have moved towards multicasting and datacasting, despite the fact that it isn't what their digital viewers want.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DougRuss, thanks for the link. Doesn't look like my local PBS does any HD though, just widescreen. I'll check it out next time a show comes on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
In Syracuse, NY, TWC in cooperation with WCNY carries the PBS HD feed on 853. No program information is available. The WCNY staff person to whom I spoke said that they have so far not been able to get a complete schedule from PBS, though they will keep trying. So far, I have found the schedule on the PBS home page to be accurate as far as it goes, i.e., every program they listed has come on at the specified time. However, besides the famous PBS loop (which does vary its content from time to time), there have been a number of other, unannounced programs. For example, virtually every night at 7:30 EST you can catch Rudy Maxa's Travels in Europe (wonderful PQ), with a new episode airing weekly. Other programs are less predictable. For example, from 6 to 7 pm this Sunday, I saw a fine program on the art collection at the Phillips Gallery in Washington, DC. On another evening around the same time I caught most of "Images of Jesus." These were all random discoveries on what I now call the "Stealth Channel." So there is definitely more PBS HD than the loop or the announced PBS schedule, but you have to be either lucky or a PBS junkie to see it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BenBroder
PBS has a bounty of cultural, scientific and travel oriented shows that would look awesome in HD. Why isn't a show like "Nova" broadcast in HD every week, instead of only one or two shows per year?
That's an easy one: money. Most of any PBS station's costs are for programming. Its not free for them! This past year has been a tough one for donations.

Want more HD on PBS? Send money, and tell 'em its for HD.

I did,

BB

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
PBS's 1080i schedule seems murky since the main site lists KARTCHNER CAVERNS: ALIVE WITH WONDER for tonight (Dec. 16th), while my local PBS NTSC station (and perhaps WNET-DT also) lists "River of Iron/Dreams of a Grand Canyon Railroad," which someone here picked earlier as their favorite HDTV show. Tuesday the 17th a 1080i show called THE MAIN STREAM is scheduled. -- John

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petew
KNME in Albuquerque has an accurate schedule here:
http://www.knmetv.org/digital/dtv-schedule.php3
Thank you for the link. The KNME-TV schedule is certainly useful, and more accurate than some other sources, such as Titan TV, but it is not completely accurate. It does not reflect variations in content of the PBS loop, including segments such as "Visions of Greece" and "Visions of Sicily," truly beautiful programs. It does not mention some repeats of broadcasts, such as "The Main Stream," which came on again tonight (Sunday, December 21). These variations have nothing to do with my local PBS outlet, which on their HD TWC cable channel simply passes through the national feed. PBS still keeps us guessing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The KUHT HDTV schedule on its website is just about always wrong. I have to turn on the projector an hour ahead of schedule just in case. As a result a couple of months ago I missed most of "The Making of 'The Misfits'" on American Masters. I've gotten to the point where I no longer care enough to try to outguess them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.