AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smart Travel with Rudy Maxa usually looks very good. But today I watched the episode about Berlin and noticed a lot of vignetting. It was very pronounced in the left corners of the screen.

It was probably the worst vignetting I'd ever seen. I wonder if the camera man actually knew what he was doing.

Disappointed...:(

Kirill

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I posted about this earlier in a different topic. My thought is that they use a large "sun guard" around the lense, and they don't realize that when they select "maximum zoom out" on the lense, the corners of the picture are obscured by the glare shield.

Many displays will hide these edges in the overscan area of the display. My computer monitor has no overscan so I see this readily. What sort of display do you use, Kir?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
I posted about this earlier in a different topic. My thought is that they use a large "sun guard" around the lense, and they don't realize that when they select "maximum zoom out" on the lense, the corners of the picture are obscured by the glare shield.

Many displays will hide these edges in the overscan area of the display. My computer monitor has no overscan so I see this readily. What sort of display do you use, Kir?
I watched it on Samsung-507W connected to Samsung SIRT-TS160 via DVI.

Kirill

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Hmm... I guess the 507W doesn't have a whole lot of overscan. It seems like digital RPTVs have less overscan than CRT ones.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I was disappointed with the new Smart Travels for more reasons than Kirill. First however, let it be said that the first season of Smart Travels IMHO are the best HDTV programs I have ever so I am comparing with the ultimate high standard.

My additional disappointments are

1. Apparent poor white balance producing orange color cast indoors and blue color cast outdoors on some shots.

2. Flicker on areas of some indoor scenes, presumably caused by a beat between the 50 Hz lighting and the NTSC frame rate.

3. The use of the same piece of video as much as three times in the same program (for example the restaurant sign that had "Gazpacho" as the top item.)

In addition, in both series, in night shots where there are point sources of light, the light produces white lines that radiate out at 45 degrees to the horizontal in all directions. I am guessing that thiis is some artifact of the camera that can't be fixed, so I cannot downgrade the program for this. Can someone confirm?

Again, I really enjoy Smart Travels, and I just hate to see the production values slip even slightly.

George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.