AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one surprised me. It just came on and it looks and sounds amazing.

Haven't seen the DD light come on since they ran Evolution.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Not a fan of the subject, though it was interesting that for the first time since I bought into HD (July 02) that I have seen and heard a local station broadcast a 5.1 DD soundtrack. Something I would like to see from all of the local digital stations particually ABC. Our local CBS who is stepping up to HD this summer has already mentioned to me that they will be doing 5.1 DD audio.

The color was striking at some points.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You are lucky that you can watch it. My PBS station is not transmitting the PBS-HD loop 24/7 so I have to wait until Saturday night to see it...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi

Haven't seen the DD light come on since they ran Evolution.
I love HD in 5.1.

5.1 is almost as dramatic an improvement as HD vs SD for me....

Well no, but when you get into it like I suspect most of us are... don't we crave to just have it better and better any way we can?

5.1 es mucho mejor!

I am still searching for a good comprehensive TV listing service which lists only HD and clearly lists which are 5.1.

Of the many versions I seen online of TV guides, none seem to properly address this issue.

mmmm. sounds like a thread topic.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
I agree. I caught this while flipping channels the other night and was startled by the vibrant colors. Beautiful HD. PBS rules!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Similarly came across this production during a rare visit to WNET-DT (PBS) on cable here--normally running that remarkable 1080 60i PBS loop.

Such superb close-ups of paintings and other art made me wish 1080-format DVDs and the always just-around-the-corner 1920X1080 flat screens to hang on your wall were finally here. Spotted an ad the other day in a recent video magazine for a DVD company specializing in museum-type (images of paintings) and nature DVDs . Assume it's not that hard to program DVD computers/players to automatically change images--or perhaps respond to verbal requests.

Perhaps we'll also see startups providing so-called 'surrogate-travel' 1080 DVDs one of these days. They never did take off with laser discs. I have a vintage laser-disc tour of Vienna, produced for use with industrial-type disc machines. You can 'tour' the city, clicking with mouse-controlled icons on buildings etc. that interest you for computer-aided video jumps. I haven't acquired the needed hardware though. -- John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.