AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying another hard drive for the sole purpose of storing my audio cd's and using my pc as a jukebox in the basement so that I don't have to dig through cd's upstairs, in the car, truck, bedrooms etc... to find the song that I want to hear.

My question is, what software do you folks recommend? Is WM player sufficient? And finally, how much does the average CD need? That way I can figure out my minimum hard drive size.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wholeheartedly recommend Media Center. Formerly known as Media Jukebox, their main site is www.mediajukebox.com

But I recommend going straight to the forums for version 9. http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/...rd=MediaCenter

This player can do pretty much anything. It is an organizational marvel, and supports every format I've ever come across.

As for hard drive space, for uncompressed .wav files, figure about 10megs/minute of music. So most cds will be in the neighborhood of 500 to 600 megabytes. With mp3 or other compression, you can make the size of a cd more like 25 MB, but then it sounds like dog poop coming out of your speakers if you have any sort of reasonably good sound system.

The compromise, for me, is to use lossless compression. Monkey's Audio ( www.monkeysaudio.com ) will take most cds down to 200 to 300 MB by converting them to .ape files. This is basically like a zip file that is readable by Media Center and some other players. The musical information is exactly the same as the original cd, so no quality is lost.

Media Center 9 may even have to ability to convet to .ape built in.

I hope that's enough to get you started. I've been going this route for less than a year now, and couldn't be happier. My compter is now the center of all my media. I have about 300 cds of music taking up about half of a 120GB drive. I haven't played music from a plastic disc in a long time.

obezyana

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
On the other hand I recommend MusicConsole+Winamp+Asio plugin reading .ape files....

Eye candy....

For more info on how to set it up, have a look at my software guide.

Some like tea, other coffe ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd take a good look at myHTPC ( www.myHTPC.net ).

It handles all types of music files very nicely, and can be extended to video files, TV, and EPG, weather, and video games with little difficulty.

Plus, it is very easy to set up the software with a remote control, which is very nice for jukebox use.

Andrew

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All!

Oddly enough, within minutes of posting my questions my hard drive took a dirt nap. I had to buy a new hard drive anyway. :( Since I am out of pci slots I bought a 120gb hard drive so as to avoid the stupid card that comes with larger drives. This should be plenty since I only have about 170 CD's.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.