AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch movies and play games on my PC through 5.1 speakers (Z-5500), and use the three 3.5mm jacks for audio, I was wondering if using Dolby Digital Live + S/PDIF would produce better audio then the 3.5mm jacks. I was reading about it some and it seemed to depend on the sound card's DAC in relation to the Z-5500's. I'm a total sound idiot and was looking for addition guidance, thanks.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
These are decent but not amazing speakers, so either way I really wouldn't worry about it. If you had a $10K surround system, it would be a more interesting question. Generally though, coming out of a computer in analog is usually going to be more flexible and more compatible with all your programs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
With movies that already have DD5.1 track, I'd say digital is better - no potential for picking up EMI, and these speakers are really not the kind to highlight the DAC difference.

With games... your sound has to be encoded to DD5.1, which is somewhat lossy. Then again, using analog means potential for EMI.

I'd say if you got decent shielded analog cables and don't get audible EMI, analog is the better option. If you get hum, hiss etc, try digital. Basically, whatever YOU think sounds better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts