AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a onkyo 160 and and i have all 7.1 speakers set up fine (everything else plays fine, such as ps3 and xbox360) But i hooked my pc to it through red/white cables (sorry for the terms, im not an audio expert
). I checked the sound controls on my pc and it is all centered, and when i move it all to the right it wont play anything.

Only the surround left, front left, and center will only play (it allso wont play out of surround back left :S )

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. Check your PC sound output by plugging stereo headphones into the speaker output (green jack). Make sure the plug is fully in - if not, tip might be engaging the ring contact instead. If you can hear sound only on one side, something is not right with PC sound.

In fact, I would be sure you did not plug the cable all the way into the PC jack - but then, you would actually be getting your RIGHT signal on your left channel, and it would sound loudest balanced to the right, and silent all the way to the left.

2. Plug the cable going to the receiver into something else with a headphone jack - ipod, cd player, boombox - whatever. See if that works.

Btw, do you have digital audio output on your PC?

·
Registered
22,845 Posts
Make sure your mini to RCA adapter/cable is stereo and not mono.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio /forum/post/18162641

1. Check your PC sound output by plugging stereo headphones into the speaker output (green jack). Make sure the plug is fully in - if not, tip might be engaging the ring contact instead. If you can hear sound only on one side, something is not right with PC sound.

In fact, I would be sure you did not plug the cable all the way into the PC jack - but then, you would actually be getting your RIGHT signal on your left channel, and it would sound loudest balanced to the right, and silent all the way to the left.

2. Plug the cable going to the receiver into something else with a headphone jack - ipod, cd player, boombox - whatever. See if that works.

Btw, do you have digital audio output on your PC?

plugged in all the way... im thinking it is the cable or my sound card, and no digital audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18163050

Make sure your mini to RCA adapter/cable is stereo and not mono.

how do you tell?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
A stereo mini plug will have 3 separate contacts-the Tip, the Ring and the Sleeve (TRS) all separated by insulating bushings.

If it has only 2Tip and Sleeve, the adapter is a mono Y cable and not a stereo connector/ 2 channel adapter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts