AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a PC Capture card (Pinnacle PCTV Pro) and a DVD Burner(NEC) for my Duron 1.2 Gig with 512 of RAM.

After a few days of TV capturing tests with four different software packages(PCTV, WinDVD, MovieFactory 2 & Studio SE), the only mode that gave me a ok results was 352x480, 9000Kbps. Any time I tried the higher quailty modes, I would loose sync or had dropped frames. I am recording from DirecTV.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is my PC to old? Are there better software options? Another site where I could find this type of info?

I wanted to get the Panny E-80, but really want the E-100, and am hoping the PC method would work ok until the 100 comes down in price.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I don't have any experience with PC based video editing/capture but I've read many things on the topic. One of the basic things that you want to do is have a separate disk of contiguous (defragmented) space for your video versus your OS and apps files and paging file(s). Matrox has some FAQs that may help ... e.g., "How can I "tweak" my Windows 2000 system for NLE (Non-Linear Editing)?" or "How can I "tweak" my Windows 98 system for NLE (Non-Linear Editing)?" You can get some info/help from the MURC Desktop Video forum . You should also track down a Pinnacle forum for more specific help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I spent 2 years mucking with the capture card method of making DVD's and let me give you advice from experience.

Stop right now and get a standalone.

It's not worth the time, headache, frustration, muddling thru different software, upgrading hardware to avoid drops and on ad nausium..

Unless you're really have your heart set on the E100 for the (slightly) bigger harddrive and the firewire input... get an E80 as fast as you can and put the $400 price differental into an LF-D521 ($189 @ buy.com w/$90 rebate) and a stack of cartridge DVD-RAM's.

If you fill up the HD on the 80 too quick.. unload to DVD-RAM till you can burn them off on the E80.

If you want to do fancy editing/menus then uload to the DVD-RAM, take it to the LF-D521 and pull the VRO file.

Womble MPEG2VCR is probably the best editing program that will handle MPEG2 and VRO, price is reasonable.

either DVDLab or TMPGenc Author are good (inexpensive) authoring programs (TMPGenc will do custom menu background with simple buttons, DVDLab will do some more elegant work (DVDLab is still in devlopment but quite usable as it stands).

Your TIME and FRUSTRATION is worth more than mucking about with capture cards nowdays... 2 years ago.. yeah, but not today.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The PCTV Pro uses software vs. hardware real-time MPEG2 compression (like the standalone recorders) from an analog input, therefore, your frame resolution is highly dependent on your CPU power. According to the Pinnacle Website, you can only achieve full 720x480 resolution with a P4 at 1800 GHz or an Athlon 1800+. You also need a lot of contiguous disk space and a fast hard drive to keep from dropping frames. Looks like your CPU is limiting your capture capability. BTW, I agree with Londo, PC capture is not worth it if you want to burn DVD's unless you need to edit the video (e.g., in DV format) before encoding to mpeg2.

Vic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.