AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer have an MSI 790GX-G65 mother board with built-in 5.1 soundcard (Optical output).

My receiver is Sony STR-DH800 7.1. I hook the optical cable from the PC to the receiver.

I can't get true surround sound from my Sony receiver when I play blue ray, DVD movie from my PC. I got true 5.1 if I hook my PC to my 5.1 PC speaker though.

I thought that the optical cable from the PC only out put un-decode surround sound to the receiver, and the receiver will decode to put out 5.1 or 7.1 to my home speaker.

I appreciate any suggestions from the expert.

Thanks,

LaRatta

·
Registered
461 Posts
What kind of soundcard do you have? Mine has an option in its menu to set the soundcard to passthrough the audio instead of decoding it within the sound card. Don't know whether this might help you or not.

You also might want to check the HTPC Forum since this might be more to their expertise.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think the problem is very likely to be in the computer. The receiver simply plays the signal it receives (unless you have specifically set it into "stereo" mode, which I doubt is your problem).

There is probably a setting in the sound control panel or the player software to output "bitstream" or "AC3" or "Dolby Digital" surround sound on the optical output.

I suggest doing a web search for "5.1" and the name of your computer's OS / player software / etc. to find the answer. There is probably just a checkbox hidden somewhere that you need to change.

-Max

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.