AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking for a way to control my receiver and pioneer 5090H from a computer. Neither has rs-232 control, but the receiver has an ir-in port and the pioneer has a SR-control in port. I was wondering if there exists a computer controlled product that can generate the wire level ir and sr control signals, so that I can wire the units up for direct control from the pc?

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I've read of people sending IR signals from a computer to components using an Ocelot from Adicon . It's programmed via an RS232 port, but I think people commonly use a USB-serial adapter. Certainly confirm that, before buying.

Another possible solution is the USB-UIRT device.

Lots of people have detailed their experiences with these in online forums. Search.

I think those 2 devices need programming, or they are to be used with 2nd party software (using drivers). I've read of people using them with Premise, CQC, Girder, and HomeSeer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
 http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_794_797.pdf

"The Model 794 or 797 allows any of the Xantech 3-wire IR receivers, keypads and control systems to connect directly to the serial remote control input jack found on many audio/video components. This eliminates the need for attaching an emitter to the front panel of the unit. The installer, by choosing the correct model number, suffix number and DIP switch settings, may use these modules to control many components."

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosen /forum/post/16372674

http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_794_797.pdf

"The Model 794 or 797 allows any of the Xantech 3-wire IR receivers, keypads and control systems to connect directly to the serial remote control input jack found on many audio/video components. This eliminates the need for attaching an emitter to the front panel of the unit. The installer, by choosing the correct model number, suffix number and DIP switch settings, may use these modules to control many components."

He wants a PC to generate baseband IR data...that won't do it.

A USB-UIRT or the older serial UIRT-2 will do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/16372976

He wants a PC to generate baseband IR data...that won't do it.

A USB-UIRT or the older serial UIRT-2 will do it.

he also wants a PC to generate an SR-control signal for the Pioneer. Will the Xantech not do this?

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/16373601

No, it's just a repeater, it has not connection to a PC.

Pioneer SR control is baseband IR data.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The idea is that he can use a standard IR out from a conventional PC-based IR device and convert it to the SR-Control using the Xantech. This solves the problem of getting the computer to generate a signal that (using the Xantech) can control his Pioneer.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
The idea is that he can use a standard IR out from a conventional PC-based IR device and convert it to the SR-Control using the Xantech.

or use a device that generates baseband IR, like a UIRT.

Using the xantech device would require an IR emitter, and an IR receiver which simply strips the carrier off.

The pioneer SR signal is just unmodulated (baseband) IR data.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the answers
Just to be clear... lets say I get an usb-irt and pull the signal out of the 'external ir emitter' jack. Do I then need the 794 module to convert it to the electrical specification of an sr signal, or is there a simpler method of making it compatible? There is mention of some other method in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=828379 , but my knowledge of electronics is not sufficient to understand it =)

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxzo /forum/post/16374571

Thanks for the answers
Just to be clear... lets say I get an usb-irt and pull the signal out of the 'external ir emitter' jack. Do I then need the 794 module to convert it to the electrical specification of an sr signal, or is there a simpler method of making it compatible? There is mention of some other method in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=828379 , but my knowledge of electronics is not sufficient to understand it =)

That link references two techniques to convert a standard (i.e. modulated) IR signal to the unmodulated signal required by the Pioneer: 1) use the Xantech 794 as a converter, and 2) use a generic RC (i.e. receiver/capacitor) circuit.

According to duvetyne, the USB-UIRT requires neither approach and can generate the unmodulated (i.e. baseband) signal directly. I am not familiar with that capability of the USB-UIRT, but imagine it involves using a software driver to change the USB-UIRT's default behavior of outputting a modulated signal (or possibly a dip switch on the device?)

If you do not hear back from duvetyne, try posting a message on the USB-UIRT forum (and then come back and let us know!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi. Quick follow up on the thread. Never received an answer on the usb-uirt forum, but I've meanwhile discovered that the 'service only' rs-232 port on the 5090H is in fact not service-only. I guess its common knowledge among integrators
but there wasn't much info about that in the material pioneer makes available for the common consumer. I've just ordered an usb->serial converter so that I can start experimenting with controlling the tv this way instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts