1,027 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Jerry,

Sorry, i was very busy at work.

Thanks a lot for you big help.

I do not find the XG 85 in the list-can i use the XG 135 instead?

Is there a newer SW version available?

Do you have an idean where ican get a newer working sw for the pj itself?

Tx

Robert

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I can't verify it but I don't see why the control sw wouldn't work with any of the XG series, except there were some S/N ranges (early production) that are stated to not work with the software.

Sorry, I don't know of a firmware source unless it could come from Tinman or Doug Baisey. You might want to PM them. I seem to remember it was offered on the now defunct SNAGGS.com website.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I think that software is as good as it gets. Its better than the remote really!

Buy an old fujitsu penpad (stylistic) computer off ebay for 50 bucks to run it on, and you have a supersized 'pronto' :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I made a cable and the software does work to control my XG751. I used the standard serial pinout which has these differences to the diagram: CTS of the PC is pin 8 and RTS is pin 7. I also connected the Carrier Detect, Data Terminal Ready and Data Set Ready together (pins 1, 4 and 6), as with a null-modem cable. However, when I plug into the projector the screen blanks. The image comes back when I unplug it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Not sure what could be wrong to make the screen blank unless maybe a voltage line is getting pulled to ground but I would think there are buffers to avoid that.

All I can say is that I've used the above pinout with 3 different PC's to the OPTION port (only 1 pj to test with tho :) )and had no difficulty with any. The diagram is scanned from the 'PC control' manual. I have no jumpers between pins on either end.

I can also say that the type of cable I used was cat5e network cable and it worked over 25 feet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've also made up a cable using the pinouts from the PC Control Software manual, and can control & download the config files on my NEC XG-1350 without any problems. I made the 25 metre cable using Cat 5 Cable. Pinouts as follows:

HD15 Male (projector) ---------------------> DB9 female (computer)

7 -----------------------------------------------> 2

6 -----------------------------------------------> 3

15 ---------------------------------------------> 5

12 ---------------------------------------------> 7

8 -----------------------------------------------> 8

There are some Version 1 XG Projectors that won't work with the PC Control Software. Version 2 & LC XG Projectors are fine. I have a NEC Service Bulletin that lists the affected XG models and the Serial number range for each affected model. Here is the info for thos interested:

Dated 12/12/97 Issue No.IC97-12-12S

Model No._______________Serial Numbers affected

_______________Compatable_______________Incompatable

XG750_________8000101 & above________5100101 to 5100350

XG1100________7900211 & above________3900101 to 3900475 & 7900101 to 7900210

XG1350________7800101 & above________2700101 to 2700355

XG750G________8300141 & above________5400101 to 5400140 & 8300101 to 8300140

XG1100G_______8200101 & above________5300101 to 5300140

XG1350G_______8100101 & above________5200101 to 5200150

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I did make the cable from an old monitor-extention cable, since I didn't have an HD15 connector. I have ordered one so I will make a better cable and give it another go. Thanks for the complete connection info, I will let you know...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
About the compatible serial number ranges, I must be lucky or my pj was rebuilt from newer parts. The sticker on my 1350 chassis shows serial # 2700115 which would make it incompatible, but I can control 99% of the options in the menus with maybe 2 functions greyed out in the entire package. I don't understand it but I'm sure not complaining.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks Mark,

I had no doubt about your post. I'm sure I read before that my pj wasn't supposed to be compatible but happily it is.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Since my previous post about the pin layout, I re-made my connector using bizzibee's pinout and that works fine for me as well. I mainly re-made mine to eliminate the need for a gender changer on the PC end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone had problems performing the Data Base (EEPROM) saves? If I try to save the DCON EEPROM data, it gets most of the way through but then errors out at the end. Everything else seems to work fine. I've tried changing the baud rate but it didn't make a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.