AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot to decide on what to do on my first HTPC. I'm about to decide to start simple:

Assuming a good PC (AMD 2600+, 512MB)

nVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Video Card

Simple DVD Drive

dScaler

DLP Projector

MyHD Card

1 of any number of software: i.e. Zoomplayer, TheaterTEK

For DVD: Is it true that I have a basic start on an HTPC, that will put out very good de-interlaced DVD picture?

I've read about xCard, and PDI combination. But I'm not sure the cost and slots used is worth it. Should I pursue that?

Thanks

Roger

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Not trying to bash AMD, but the hyperthreaded P4s seem to do better performance wise than Athlons.

Other than that, you should be fine.

·
Registered
853 Posts
No worries, I am running a 1.4 T-bird with no problems. It sounds like ATI cards are better over all. Things MAY have changed though. I honestly like Nvidia's drivers better though - but I am running an ATI Radeon 7500 for my HTPC. Soon to be upgraded to something new. It sounds like you are putting together a good setup.

The HTPC image quality for DVD's us unbelievable and every time a new player application comes out, it's like christmas again and you just got a new stand alone drive.

Personally, I have TheaterTek and don't use it. I do not like it's deinterlacing as I see flaws. I'm a "Set it and forget it" kind of guy - so I use the latest powerdvd and could not be happier.

Best luck to you,

Vidkidd

·
Registered
971 Posts
If you watch alot of video-based DVDs, then the XCard-PDI combo might be worth it to you. It also helps with problematic/poorly-flagged film DVDs. I noticed this when watching Monsters, Inc. on a PJ the other day.

And unless you start getting into the high-tweak applications like FFDShow and Reclock, you have more than enough processor for just about anything HTPC-related.

RG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.