AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to get an Onkyo TX-NR809 or something similar with 2 outputs.

The reason I want one is to run: ps3, ipod, sat box, archos and my pc + tv + projector

At the moment I only have a dvi to hdmi cable running from my PC to TV for video, and an old stereo cable from the pc to a terrible old stereo system.

my pc doesn't have a hdmi output (it's an nvidea gtx460 (I've heard that dvi can carry audio out on these cards... but I can't get it to work)).

Can a receiver (like the onkyo) run audio from my pc (via regular audio 7.1 cables or sp/dif) and also run my video via the dvi to hdmi cable at the same time?

I'm not sure if it can be done by using the 2 zone options- and I'm hoping it wouldn't be necessary. I really would like it to be as simple as "choose audio source" + "choose video source" = yes

None of the details I have found suggest that it can be done, and I've never owned a receiver.

Thanks for any help offered

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a Denon 1911 that can do it....and I'm doing that same thing. You'll want to find that Onkyo model's "official" thread in the AVR forum and post your questions there for better answers. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply. Good advise.

Can your Denon 1911 mix, for example, the audio from 1 hdmi input and the video from another hdmi?

(or can it only mix the coaxial/optic audio with a non-hdmi video input?)

thanks again

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Again, check out the AVR forum...also for the Denon 1911.

Actually, now that I think about it, I run the DVI (converted to HDMI) straight from my PC to my PJ. The 1911 does not overlay volume and such over the source picture so I only go through the AVR if I need to do some setup like Audyssey. The reason I do that is because the 1911 cannot pass through extended color info (0-255) which your graphics card most likely puts out. It makes a pretty significant difference for PQ. You'll want to check for that in any AVR you are looking at.

The 1911 can set any source audio (HDMI/SPDIF/optical/analog) and video from my memory. The only thing it can't do is play the radio and show your PC's video. I have no idea why!

Oh, and I'm going on vacation this afternoon for 9 days so I won't be able to answer any questions after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts