AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 2005 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Dragon Age: Inquisition does start a little weak. But it becomes pretty awesome after you level up and gain abilities. And the story gets interesting. It helps when others join the Inquisition and, like Mass Effect, there's some interesting conversations between various characters (depending on who is in the party) while roaming the lands.

My advice - don't try to clear the first area completely. Just level up a bit, then open up new areas at the War Room. You can (and will) go back and do unfinished tasks in the first area, and you'll be stronger.
I'll second this. The first area is the worse in the game. Get levelled up, get out of there. It is one of the best RPG's ever. Really opens up.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Not sure what class would be best as The Inquisitor. I picked a male dwarf, simply because there's rarely any dwarfs as main characters in these fantasy stories. He's quite interesting to play as - occasional interesting reaction from NPCs. :D

I enjoy the up-close, hack-and-slash combat, and rarely use the stop-time overhead tactical combat mode. I would just enter the combat area, pull the attack trigger, and go hacking. :cool: Played on Xbox One, btw.
I've played this game through a number of times. I'll echo what others have said in that you really need to get to your home base and past that first area. It opens things up a lot. I would run on normal mode at the very least. If you want to be OP, go with a knight enchanter or sword and board warrior (knight enchanter is ridiculous). You will be able to solo dragons as a KE. Once you're at your home base, always go and chat with the main characters in the story after every major event - they have lots of neat things to talk about and it draws you into the story. Eventually you will be able to choose a love interest if you've gone through the proper steps.

Also, it does take a bit of time to get used to (as it does in every RPG), but do get used to making your own armor and weapons and buying the plans to make them - they will be waaaay more powerful than the world drops. And the cool thing is that, depending on the materials you use, you can craft different colored weapons and armor.

The thing I really liked about this game is that if you get bored of your main character, you can just switch out to one of the others in your party and have a completely different fighting experience. It keeps things fresh and I found myself never getting bored of the combat. My 0.02.

Damn, writing that makes me want to play the game all over again, but there are so many other games I've still got to play in order to get my money's worth.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have this on my wishlist. Thoughts? How hard is it?

I don't like games where I die too much. :eek:
So far, so easy compared to Dark Souls. I'm really not very far into it and I hate to say it, but it turns out I am a bit of a graphics whore. The graphics really are lacking in this game compared to some of the newer ones I've played. Yes I'm sure it's going to be great but sometimes it's hard to see past the crappy textures when you're used to a game like DA: Inquisition. I do like the action-oriented nature of the fighting, though.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
The combat is so good in the game though. Download one of the ENB mods and make the dull colors pop a little more.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just finished Deadlight and Call of Juarez...loved them both. So if your in the mood for a good six shooter.. get on steam and pick it up.

I've got DA Inquisition loaded up also... and Im glad to hear it picks up bc I'm not finding the the magic I have in the first one.

Reactions: DaverJ

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I just finished Deadlight and Call of Juarez...loved them both. So if your in the mood for a good six shooter.. get on steam and pick it up.

I've got DA Inquisition loaded up also... and Im glad to hear it picks up bc I'm not finding the the magic I have in the first one.
Interesting. I got into this one a lot easier than I did the first one. Not sure if I just wasn't to sure how DA was so different when it first came out, or if I just didn't find the story line to my liking. It didn't take me long to get hooked on DA I.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Been playing Undertale. Simply an amazing game that I wish I could go back in time and talk with my younger self about it. I'm gearing up for Street Fighter V which releases this Tuesday. We're having local events to celebrate. If any of you are near Salem, OR. Please come on out and let's work together to learn this new fighter!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Finished up Dying Light. Man I loved this game! Had no idea it was going to be so good. I did play the Dead Island games, but this one I really liked. The melee combat is done really well as is the parkour aspect. Really cool how the game can be played completely in co-op also, regardless of the level of your character. I am thinking of paying full price for the expansion that just came out, Dying Light: The Following.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Since Layers of Fear came out of Early Access today, I bought it and even finished it today. Short game, about 3 hours long but very trippy and psychedelic. It was like a trip on LSD or something. :D:p

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bought the PC version of RYSE: Son of Rome. I know there's a lot of hate for this game out there but I've enjoyed some other games that everyone else seemed to dismiss and this one seemed like a good candidate.

So far it's not bad. I've finished the prologue and the first chapter and I think I'm pretty far into the second. The combat is intense and visceral; I often found myself contorting my body in real life trying to fend off groups of multiple foes. It took me about an hour or two (and many deaths) to become an acceptable fighter. IMO it's a pretty good balance between challenge and entertainment.

The graphics are truly a joy. The game runs very smoothly on my 980m with everything maxed out, and when I say very smoothly I mean not a single stutter or hitch. You'll encounter many great visuals working your way through the game's alternate reality vision of ancient Roman times.

It's obviously not perfect. At times I feel like I've been mowing down an army of clones, and the combat can get a little tedious. I don't think I'd recommend it at full price but I only paid $7 during a Steam sale and it's definitely worth a go at that price.

Edit - Forgot to mention: use a gamepad. Finishing moves require timing and the PC controls make you alternate between mouse buttons. It felt awkward to me.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Wow, that's some facial system.

Those celebrities: the only 2 I could actually pick out, without a reference picture to guide you to the answer, would be Anne Hathaway and Cucumber Pumpkinpatch. Maybe Maise Williams.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I fiddled with the character creation last night for about 30 minutes. I was going for a Keira Knightley inspired character. This is what I came up with. It is pretty deep to say the least. The eyes were hard to do since I could not get the exact Brown I wanted. I'm hoping they patch it down the road so you can do custom colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Just realized I had bought Rise of the Tomb Raider on one of the sales and fired it up in my home theatre. Wow, that game looks and sounds absolutely amazing! I have an Atmos receiver, so it upmixes the sound to the ceiling speakers. So much audio goodness in this game. The facial movements of Lara are the best I've seen in any game - they are actually believable. You really need to see it. I am thoroughly impressed with this game so far and can't wait to get into it more.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
It was my game of the year last year!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Right now I'm playing Elite: Dangerous and trying out the Division demo.
Elite: Dangerous is very good so far. I am majorly disappointed with no triple screen support. I thought for sure a game like this would have had that. It begs triple screen and yet no. Ball was dropped there IMO big time. Not gonna lie I first I thought I was too old to be playing this. I didn't want to learn yet another control scheme but it didn't take but a few minutes to get the hang of it and I was dog fighting like I been there before (well I have been there before but haven't played these kind of games in a long time)

The Division is a beautiful looking game and the gameplay is pretty good. I'm getting this on Xbox to play with friends but after playing on all 3 platforms I think I might double dip and go PC also. Selfishly I was hoping that all my Xbox friends would decide not to get it leaving me the option to go PC only. lol The proximity chat works like a dream on the PC whereas on the consoles it didn't seem to work as well.

I still have my other previous steam sales to get through. I don't care if Steam sends me an email saying 20 games of my choice for a dollar I'm not buying anymore.

...... Ok I lied.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Right now I'm playing Elite: Dangerous and trying out the Division demo.
Elite: Dangerous is very good so far. I am majorly disappointed with no triple screen support. I thought for sure a game like this would have had that. It begs triple screen and yet no. Ball was dropped there IMO big time. Not gonna lie I first I thought I was too old to be playing this. I didn't want to learn yet another control scheme but it didn't take but a few minutes to get the hang of it and I was dog fighting like I been there before (well I have been there before but haven't played these kind of games in a long time)

...... Ok I lied.
YOu can play the game in Triple Monitor. I have seen plenty of Triple Monitor setups on the Elite Dangerous Group on Facebook. I did a quick google search and came across this Reddit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2lxniv/how_to_get_triple_monitors_to_work

I have never tried to do a Triple Monitor setup. Even with a 290X I feel it would take a pretty big hit on the FPS to do it. Not to mention I would need a bigger monitor. I think I'd rather get a nice 1440P monitor (32" or so) and play at that size :) I for one get annoyed with the bezels on triple Monitors. Though when I did run two I liked having the second for Desktop stuff and GPU/CPU monitoring.

Reactions: W3Rman
1021 - 1040 of 2005 Posts