AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not quite sure where I should post this question, so I'll try here and hopefully that'll be ok!

I just built myself a new gaming computer. I only play 2 games on it. Unreal Tournament 3 (UT3) and the original (keepin' it old school!) Unreal Tournament (UT99).

My graphics card is a NVIDIA 9800 GT. It's all I need for the games I play and anything else that I'll do with the machine.

I'm looking for a new LCD monitor for my new rig. I'd prefer a 22", but I would definitely consider anything in the 19"-24" range.

I've pretty much exhausted my searches for reviews on monitors online. It's so difficult to find legitimate helpful information. Most of the reviews seem to favor Dell (ultrasharp) monitors, but I've also read an equal number of negative reviews on these monitors. This is what leads me to post this thread here. I really need help choosing the best monitor for my money.

I'm not too concerned with how much I'll spend on the monitor, however, I would like to keep it under $500. The less, the better! $300-350 would be ideal, but I am definitely willing to spend more money for quality.

I won't be watching many dvd's on it since in the room next door is my "theater room"

I have to admit, I am a bit of a Samsung fanboy, but I haven't found a really good Samsung monitor, yet. It seems a lot of my google searches lead me to old models that aren't even produced anymore - a huge annoyance and another reason why I'm making this post here.

Any and all input will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys. -Don

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Well, I did have the Samsung T240 monitor for a few months, it was nice, but it kept being a pain in the butt, so I did dump that in favor of a Dell 2408WFP, since I fell for the TOC lineup for the PC monitor line, thinking that it would be the same quality as the TOC HDTV series. Boy, was I wrong about that one. The T240 doesn't use S-PVA panel tech at all, but Dell UltraSharps do, so I'm glad I switched to that monitor. Gonna sell the Sammy T240 sometime soon, seems like the Dell 2408WFP monitor wins, hands down.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry for jackin' your post, but I feel I'm in a similar spot as you... so I've also been looking at various monitors lately for my upgrade and wondered how well the 2408WFP does with games? I've read a ton of reviews and comparisons which all say the input lag is the downside for PVA panels. Anyhow I would like first hand knowledge if anyone would like to share?

Also in regards to the OP it seems from my research that the HP w2408h seems to be a nice gaming monitor, albeit a TN panel. I have one on the way and will let you know how it handles FPS games.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Now that I'm thinking about it... What would the higher-end LG monitors be? Do they use their S-IPS panels in their more premium monitors, or are theirs all TN? I'm thinking that LG could have a solution for a gaming monitor.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sure is... It doubles as a great HDTV monitor as well, if you have a set-top box, whether it be cable or satellite, and you get HD channels with it. It could almost rival that of a Sony XBR6 in those smaller sizes.

Just as a little hint, looks like Dell has the monitor for the same amount than it was during Prez Day, just checking up on it. MSRP from Dell is just...blech, they are too pricey if they don't run a special on them. I love those holiday specials from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts