AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run an old desktop loaded with a bunch of emulators for old NES games and SNES games(legal games that I own real copies of). I would then like to hook that desktop up to my plasma through my reciever. The problem is my Plasma tv doesn't include a VGA port. I would need a graphics card with composite video out and hook it up like that. My main question is will it look any good?

I've seen computers hooked up to small LCD TV's with VGA and it looks awful. Would much rather have it on a computer monitor. If by using a composite video out of the computer, plugged into my Harman Kardon AVR 7300 (with video up-conversion), are the games gunna look smooth or should I just dust off the old NES and SNES and hook them up that way.

Another advantage to using the desktop was for buying wireless controllers for my PC.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I wouldn't do it, burn-in is a scary thing on such an expensive TV...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Check out RAM electronics (AVS sponsor) they have PC to TV converters.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Don't worry about burn-in. Connect the two and enjoy. Though it is quite unfortunate, that you don't have VGA input.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Wow, what terrible advice! "Don't worry about burn-in" on a plasma?! With gaming? With plenty of static images?!

As with anything else, yes, some plasmas are better than others, but if you think burn-in is a thing of the past, you have another thing coming to you.

My friend, yes, worry about burn in. Be VERY mindful of it.

If you play a game like say...Halo, for example, that has a static image like the radar and you like to play games for several hours on end...hell YEAH, you worry about burn-in! Just about any FPS on the PC has a static image, like a radar or an inventory icon of some sort. Several hours of this MIGHT burn-in on your screen.

Any game you've got that has a static image like that, and many PC games do, like RTS's, for example...I sure as hell wouldn't recommend playing games on a plasma with a clear conscience unless you're WELL aware of your limitations on YOUR plasma and how to handle it properly.

Do NOT dismiss burn-in out of hand like at least one, if not two forumers here, tried to get you to do.

I'd suggest you post in the plasma forum what display you have and ask those people the proper way to approach this thing. YMMV.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.