AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly HTPC, but a PC-related question...

Here's my setup, in a nutshell:

Mitsubishi DLP projection TV

Onkyo receiver, connected to TV with HDMI cable.

Other devices are connected to the receiver for switching.

When I plug my Dell laptop into the receiver by HDMI cable, I can see the PC's output on the TV and all is well. The PC's output resolution is 1920x1080, 60Hz, 32-bit color.

The laptop desk is across the room from the receiver. I want to extend the HDMI from my laptop to the receiver. The total distance will be around 75 feet. I have, so far, tried two different HDMI/cat-6 extenders that I bought on Amazon. The first one gave me an intermittent signal and no audio from the PC. I returned it. The second one, which I still have, gives me no signal at all from the PC. Even if I eliminate the 75' distance and connect it with 3' cat-6 patch cables, I get nothing.

I've been trying to research this but haven't come up with much. It seems that there's a difference between 1080p from a device such as a Blu-Ray player and 1080p from a PC. My best guess at this point is that that's causing my problem.

So what's the best way to solve this? Keep trying different HDMI/cat-6 extenders until I find one that works? Is there a better solution?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Monoprice makes a wall plate combo for $20 or so - two wallplates with HDMI outside and two cat6 RJ45 sockets on the "inside". They're supposed to work well, and is probably a lot cheaper than you paid for the one from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse_Pad /forum/post/19557501

Not exactly HTPC, but a PC-related question...

Here's my setup, in a nutshell:

Mitsubishi DLP projection TV

Onkyo receiver, connected to TV with HDMI cable.

Other devices are connected to the receiver for switching.

When I plug my Dell laptop into the receiver by HDMI cable, I can see the PC's output on the TV and all is well. The PC's output resolution is 1920x1080, 60Hz, 32-bit color.

The laptop desk is across the room from the receiver. I want to extend the HDMI from my laptop to the receiver. The total distance will be around 75 feet. I have, so far, tried two different HDMI/cat-6 extenders that I bought on Amazon. The first one gave me an intermittent signal and no audio from the PC. I returned it. The second one, which I still have, gives me no signal at all from the PC. Even if I eliminate the 75' distance and connect it with 3' cat-6 patch cables, I get nothing.

I've been trying to research this but haven't come up with much. It seems that there's a difference between 1080p from a device such as a Blu-Ray player and 1080p from a PC. My best guess at this point is that that's causing my problem.

So what's the best way to solve this? Keep trying different HDMI/cat-6 extenders until I find one that works? Is there a better solution?

Extending [email protected] + audio over 30ft reliably is expensive.

Try to reduce the resolution say [email protected] or [email protected] with and without

audio and see if the problem goes away. Reducing the color depth to 24 bits also helps.

Check to see if the extenders correctly pass the extended EDID which carries the audio config info.

Some of the cheap extenders do not support this completely.

If the extender advertises itself as a HDMI repeater, the source must

(your laptop) be capable of supporting this. TV's and receivers normally appear as HDMI sinks

and this can further complicate the setup. Check with that manufacturer of the extender.

The best solutions handle everything at the physical layer and avoid the HDMI

handshake issues and the HDMI sink/source/repeater fiasco .

Downside is cost about $500 for a Cat 6 extender.

My display is about 65ft from the video source running over fiber HDMI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts