AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I'm tossing around the idea of putting a PC in my homes crawl space directly underneath the media area. Why the crawl space? Because I want it to be gaming capable but not deal with the noise. There is a coat closet right by the media area, but I don't think I could get adequate ventilation.

Is this common? Not recommended? My crawl space is clean and critter free right now. We're not using it for storage, either. It only has the furnace and sump pump, and a ton of open space. There is some moisture but doesn't "feel" like much. I'm mostly concerned about fire danger.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'd be more concerned about accessibility than fire. none of the PC's in my house are exactly 'set and forget', sooner or later you have to have physical access to one, to push a button or deal with an issue. i tend to prefer things where i can easily reach them.

there are 'quiet PC' solutions available (passive cooling, water-cooling) that address the noise issue while still giving you a very capable system.

another option might be to stick it in the closet and invest in a bathroom vent fan for the ceiling of the closet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Without seeing the actual setup of your space, I don't see how this would be a good idea. As chimpuat mentioned, there are tons of silent / near silent cooling methods that can satisfy you. I would much rather deal with a few decibels of noise than having a PC in a crawl space.

Maximum PC actually had an article regarding a silent gaming PC, just to give you some ideas. I wouldn't pay much attention to the price of the pc components, as the article is from January, but it should give you some good ideas:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how...lent_gaming_pc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're both right and I'm going about this wrong. By wanting to put the PC in the crawl space or a closet, I'm creating all kinds of problems with heat, ventilation, moisture, and fire hazards that will cost non-trivial amounts of money to remedy (including at least 1 hole in my wall). If instead I spent that same $400-$500, I could get a really quiet case and components and solve all those problems. Except I'll gain convenience and lose the fire hazard. (Context: my fear with the fire hazard is that if I do something against code that causes a fire and burns my house down, and my insurance company finds out the fire was because of a code violation, bye-bye claim. Maybe not, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.)

The MaximumPC link is also helpful, as are the comments there. Thanks for the link. I'm aware of Silent PC review and I guess I'll look into it more thoroughly.

Thanks for the redirection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.