Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I *know* this is a well trodden path, and I've spent hours playing around with Powertrip to address the issue last year when I first got my HLM, but I never saw anyone who actually posted a set of parameters for PowerStrip which would create either a custom resolution, remove the overscan, adjust the porch correctly etc. for displaying a PC signal on the PC input of a HLM/HLN model.

Did anyone succeed? Is there an alternative?

I'm thinking about the service menu posx posy settings but I don't understand how that would "shrink" the wide/TV setting to remove the overscan. Obviously wide/PC works (and is underscanned) but is very blurry compared with wide/TV which is crystal clear.

Thanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not familiar with the history of this issue, but I can tell you that I have a HLN437W and when I connect my PC to it (RGB connection) and set the resolution to 1280x720 it works fine and has no visible overscan (in Wide-TV mode - Wide-PC mode has significant underscan.)

I am using a Radeon 9500Pro and have installed the Rage Tweak utility to enable 1280x720, but am not using Powerstrip at all.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by schulzpm
I'm not familiar with the history of this issue, but I can tell you that I have a HLN437W and when I connect my PC to it (RGB connection) and set the resolution to 1280x720 it works fine and has no visible overscan (in Wide-TV mode - Wide-PC mode has significant underscan.)

I am using a Radeon 9500Pro and have installed the Rage Tweak utility to enable 1280x720, but am not using Powerstrip at all.
Interesting. So in Wide-TV you can see all of your toolbar at the bottom and start button (and clock)?

Jonathan

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
yep. In 1024x768 I did not get this though. In that res I get about 5% overscan in Wide-TV and about 1-2% underscan in Wide-PC
Im using 1280x720 on an ATI 7500 (or 7600 - can't remember offhand!) using the RGB connection (DVI is much sharper but thats for my HD box!) and I would say the overscan is about 1/2" (maybe 1") all the way around. Mine is an older set to yours (HLM437W).

Hmmm. I think I'm more frustrated now knowing that it just works for other people :)

Jonathan

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Googer
I did indeed have success on an HLN617W when using VGA. I didn't have much luck with DVI though and I'm not sure how much success others have had either.
Thanks for the response. I'll try those timings tonight. I'm surprised that hit didn't come up when I was searching earlier. I looked - honest!

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I believe you; I had a hard time finding the thread myself. :eek: I ended up doing a search on arungupta (the member) because I knew he started the thread and linked to it in his signature. :p

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have to retract my statements from earlier. I double-checked last night and there is *some* overscan in 1280x720. I hadn't noticed it before because the bottom and left have almost zero overscan (maybe a few lines at most - the start menu comes up perfectly.) The right side does have a good bit of overscan (so I guess my picture is off-center??) The clock shows up, but the AM/PM indicator is completely cut off - which is a good chunk of space if you look closely.) The top is also cut off by an apparent equivalent amount. Since the bottom and left were ok and the clock showed up (I had forgotten there was an AM/PM indicator) I didn't notice the overscan. Nevertheless, it is not enough overscan to bother me (though I am now concerned about my picture being off-center...)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
I have to retract my statements from earlier. I double-checked last night and there is *some* overscan in 1280x720. I hadn't noticed it before because the bottom and left have almost zero overscan (maybe a few lines at most - the start menu comes up perfectly.) The right side does have a good bit of overscan (so I guess my picture is off-center??) The clock shows up, but the AM/PM indicator is completely cut off - which is a good chunk of space if you look closely.) The top is also cut off by an apparent equivalent amount. Since the bottom and left were ok and the clock showed up (I had forgotten there was an AM/PM indicator) I didn't notice the overscan. Nevertheless, it is not enough overscan to bother me (though I am now concerned about my picture being off-center...)
Well I could adjust my picture to do the same thing but I'd loose an inch left and top. You can center the picture from the normal TV menu and go to the PC options.

The tweaks posted by Googer work really well - some small amount of overscan now (between 2 and 8 pixels worth) but it actually looks WAY sharper and more legible than before too!

Jonathan

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm at 1280x720 using an nVidia fx5200 card and the latest drivers. Connected via 15 pin connector (VGA) also, and have very little overscan. There is some, but not enough to warrant messing with it. I *do* have a small spot (well, at least one) toward the middle of the screen where text seems to swim or shimmy a bit. The spot doesn't move with respect to the rest of the screen (it's stationary)... Anyone else see any artifacts like this?

I might mess with some Powerstrip timings if it starts to bother me, but have only played with the setup for about an hour so far...

Marc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.