Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have replaced my outdated HTPC with a Sigma 8500 player and I like that route better but I'm thinking about perhaps working that PC which is far outdated by todays standards back into the gear as a controller.

I use a Sony CRT projector currently but I have a Electrohome Marquee that I will someday replace the Sony with and the Electrohome remote has codes that are hard for universal remotes to learn. It isn't hard to control the PJ with Girder though.

Also,.. I may want to have the gear in the next room from the theater. I have a IR receiver that can read any IR and give it to Girder at the PC end. Then, I guess the PC could control all the gear and perhaps the lights too. It can send out IR, RF and RS232 commands to anything.

Anyone think a HTPC simply for controlling the gear is a good or bad plan?

-Brian

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good plan - I love automation! My controller sits in the basement and controls things throughout the house. My theater is in the attic and commands from the basement are sent to the attic to an Ethernet to RS232 device.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am using a pc to control lights, RS-232, and IR for all of my equipment. I have the PC in a rack with the rest of the equipment in another room, which makes everything quiet. I also use the PC for DVD playback

Itai

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'm using a dedicated pc to control all of my HT equipment including a Marquee. Using a Slinke/Xantech for IR control, lights/garage door/Thermostats via network connection to Homeseer/Stargate, Marquee is hooked up to this PC via RS232. Mainlobby is the control software and there is a plugin specifically written for Marquee projector control. The pc also controls the Bedroom Lex DC1 and TV via another IR run and Xanteck block.

Touch screens in the Theater and a Progear in the bedroom are the input devices. Works great, extremely flexible.

·
Registered
676 Posts
HI Brian,

I'm using a Fujitsu 3400 tablet (touchscreen) as a control PC. It runs Netremote for the GUI emulating the pile of remotes and their functions. Netremote communicates to the HTPC via a Girder TCP/IP plugin called "Internet Event Server". This enables Netremote and Girder to handshake.

Girder then controls all IR functions (input and output) via a UIRT2, Firecracker for X10, and Girder for all PC commands.

I'll post a couple of Netremote "remotes" pictures when the system gets free.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
windtrader,

I just got my progear going and would like to see your NetRemote design!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.