AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to assume that it's impossible, at least for me. I've tried using the HD pattern disc and it seems that my monitor settings make no difference. I play Blu-Ray and movies using PowerDVD through my Blu-Ray PC drive.

If I run the pattern disc in PowerDVD, every test shows perfect calibration no matter what my monitor settings actually are. Why? Because the NVIDIA control panel is set to use it's settings and not the player. So I switched that so is uses the Players settings. Now the patterns show that I need to calibrate my monitor, but again the monitors settings do nothing. In order to then calibrate things I have to pull up PowerDVD's settings and adjust from there. I have tried using regular players like MPlayer and VLC and do the same thing I explained above.

So how exactly do I go about calibrating my monitor when both NVIDIA and any Media Player discards it?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Uh... you adjust using settings on the monitor?

Beyond that you can use the video card control panel as well if necessary to set various things straight as necessary. It will have different effects on say overlay versus VMR, depending on how you're rendering, and the settings for the various software programs you might use.

It's fairly complex on a computer because of the layers of software. But you start with the monitor first for greyscale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I adjust using my monitors settings I have no way of knowing if I'm adjusting them correctly. I can't use something like the AVS HD 709 calibration video/patterns on this site because they are either tied to my NVIDIA settings or the media players setting. Therefore I would basically just be blindly adjusting monitor settings never knowing if I'm adjusting them correctly or not.

My monitor is also limited to only Brightness, Contrast, Red, Green, Blue settings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.