AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a alienware with 2700+ athlon, ATI 9700, 512 MB Ram, 2 Hardrives with Raid, DVD, and CD-RW.

Currently I have a 7 year old 15" monitor. I would like to get something better. My objectives in order of preference are these:

1) PC web surfing and gaming look good

2) DVD looks good

3) HDTV looks good

I have read a lot on this webpage and I have an ok understanding of resolution, frequency, contrast, and etc...., but still below average it seems.

1 question for now:

1) How does PC web surfing look and gaming compare on a good PC monitor vs. a XGA PC/TV (such as Arcadia 3.4FTW at http://www.princetongraphics.com/Pro...ProductsF.html ) vs. a rear projection t.v. (such as a http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/current/50H72.html ) vs. a direct view (such as 34" FD Trinitron® WEGA® Hi-Scan 1080i™ TV

KV-34XBR800) vs. a lcd vs. a plasma vs. a front projection (such as sanyo plv-70)

For info, I know of powestrip and transducers and component vs. vga vs. s-video vs. composite, so mention of these to help explain differences is cool, but I don't need them introduced to save you time :) Also, some of these options such as plasma and sanyo-plv-70 our outside my budject, but I would like to know what I'm missing if I'm in fact missing out in your view when purchasing the others.

Thank you,

Guy

·
Registered
215 Posts
Guy, welcome to the forum!

You will get different opinions on this, but I prefer direct view CRT displays (and widescreen versus 4:3). Depending on how close you are sitting, you have choices: Sony has a 24" that is 16:10 (Model GDM - FW900 or something like that), there are a few 32" to 34" models from RCA, Sampo, Loewe and Princeton and CA has a 38" model as well.

Do some searches for a discussion on features and merits of each.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Whats you budget?

Are you even considering a Projector and screen setup?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bart,

You said you like direct view. So, other than vga connections, what are the important differences between "PC/TVs" such as the RCA I mentioned and a "normal HDTV direct view" such as the Sony I mentioned for web surfing and gaming?

Ebacherville,

Yes, I'm considering the projector/screen as an option and my budget is dependent on what I'm getting (for example, I wouldn't pay 2000 for a t.v. that could only be a good t.v. and the same for pc monitor), but i guess my budget is between 1500-3000.

Also, I know the areas (such as resolution, freq, brightness, etc...) the tradeoffs are in between the types of displays I listed in my original post, but I don't have a great idea of what I'm exactly trading off between the displays for web surfing and gaming. (I want to leave the t.v. and dvd watching out of this discussion for now) Also, in case you were wondering, if I got a "dedicated" pc monitor, then I would only get a 21" and stick with my 32" NTSC TV for tv and dvd. If I got a new t.v. that was also a quality pc monitor, then I would want at least a 34" widescreen. Next, on a pc system, such as mine listed at top of post, what would you normally have the resolution and freq set on a good pc monitor for software such as internet explorer, warcraft III, and quake? You see why I'm asking the original question, if I'm going to buy a new tv that also doubles as my pc monitor, I don't want to waste the money i spent on my new computer by using this software on a t.v. that didn't do it justice.

Thanks guys,

Guy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On another note, seeing is worth a thousand words. If I could only see the display devices I listed running the internet and a game at the best quality they could do then I could simply watch and I would know what device I like the best and/or at least which one is worth its cost. But I can't so I have to ask these questions in order to make the decision, and while doing so I waste the time of nice folks like yourselves.

Anyway, please help with the questions above, I would imagine that other people could benefit from the answers!!!

Thank you,

Guy

·
Registered
898 Posts
you will not get any better "quality" than using a good computer display

( most up models are capable of beyond 1920P so .. )

i would recommend Sony computer monitors..in 21" or if you have the budget..

the GDM-FW900 is my favorite ( currently runs for 1200$ USD on ebay and 1600$ brand new )

it is a 16:10 format 24" screens that can't be beat by anything that u can buy with your money right now ( nothing under 20 000$ that i know of beast this monitor )

but the choice of the size of the display depends on the use

if you are to use it all the time alone in a small room, i'd say that computer monitor is the cheapest most effective way ( that's what i do in my room)

if it is for your living room..then something like the new Sony rear projections might be a better choice

both will acomodate web surfing, games DVDs and HDTV

have fun :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think this question is right up my alley...

I own a Princeton arcadia 3.6T 36" XGA display and also have a 21" sony FD trinitron monitor (G500). Both are hooked up to my computer using a nvidia video card with twin-view, which produces a clone of the desktop on both screens. Both screens give excellent quality images, but the princeton 36" monitor is limited to 1024x768 @ 60 Hz. (It looks best running at 800x600 @ 75 Hz.)

I like to do most of my concentrated computing tasks sitting at the desk looking at the sony monitor at 1152x864. I also prefer looking at the sony monitor when playing warcraft 3, but for less intense games like diablo2, its great to sit/lie on the couch with the wireless keyboard and mouse. I don't do much 1st person shooters, but I did play through a few of them, and it was great to play them on the large size TV. Friends that came over thought the picture quality looked just as good on the big screen as on the sony, but just that much more impressive in large format.

For watching a dvd, I switch the computer resolution to 800x600, launch windvd, and turn off the sony monitor, and the picture quality on the princeton monitor is awesome. I can control everything on the computer remotely from the couch with a logitech wireless keyboard/mouse or through my pronto remote, which I have custom programmed for many functions on the computer including online movies, digital picture albums, windvd, and winamp, using a keyspan infrared remote.

Web surfing from the couch is great on the princeton monitor, and even my wife likes to use the setup. 800x600 is the comfortable resolution on the 36" screen from 10" distance though.

So bottom line is that they both are good displays and they both serve different functions. If you do decide to buy a large format screen like a rear projection, make sure you get one that displays a good quality image with sharp text. It is no fun trying to surf the web if you have to squint. It is also no fun to surf at low resolution, and I think 800x600 is a minimum resolution for comfortable web surfing. As good as the big display is, the higher resolution and crisp display of the sony monitor can't be matched.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure if you can find one device that will serve both of these needs. I bought both of these displays over a year ago, and maybe now there are other products out there that can do both things - be a big screen for dvd/home theater and also be able to display good quality text at high resolution.

One thing I did like about the princeton monitor was that it was well adjusted and neutral straight out of the box. It did not require any adjustments, calibration, or focussing that a projection screen might require. It also has svideo, composite, and cable tv inputs. I think the newer models have component inputs as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks jinMVT for the response, I will certainly keep your suggestions in mind.

Varun, the fact that you have both an XGA and a computer monitor made your reply the most useful information i have heard yet (just like you said, right up your ally). I have a couple more questions for you. First, you said make sure the big screen has a "good quality image with sharp text". How do you know before seeing the thing hooked up that it has those things? Next, I'm assuming you are using a vga connection to hook out both your t.v. and monitor? Next, I haven't seen (as with my own eyes) the comparison between a higher resolution with 60 Hz vs. a lower resolution with 75 Hz. So, can you explain to how the image is affected and why you recommend the higher Hz? Next, I would assume you are looking for the highest of both worlds, meaning there is a balance between resolution and frequency?

Thanks again,

Guy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chance for some more help out there?

Thanks,

Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.