AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy to have found this forum.

I have two rooms adjacent to one another:

1. Media room - TV, receiver, surround sound, BR DVD, Cable box, Wii and a PC. All components are HDMI to receiver.

2. Game room - stereo speakers (fixed in ceiling)

My issue is mp3 files played via Windows Media Player/Center on the PC. The media room works just fine, but I wish to concurrently play those files in the game room.

My receiver is an Onkyo TXNR-609 which does have a zone 2 connection, but it is not digital, which I failed to recognize soon enough.

My questions are:

1. Can I split the HDMI from the PC, one to the existing receiver for the Media room, one to a simple amp for the game room?

2. If so, is there a quality issue? Such as an output delay between the rooms?

3. If so, what recommendations can you make?

4. Is there a better way, short of upgrading my new receiver to allow digital zone2?

I appreciate any and all insight...I am one to plug in and enjoy, but I want it sounding great!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcfii /forum/post/20944010

I am happy to have found this forum.

I have two rooms adjacent to one another:

1. Media room - TV, receiver, surround sound, BR DVD, Cable box, Wii and a PC. All components are HDMI to receiver.

2. Game room - stereo speakers (fixed in ceiling)

My issue is mp3 files played via Windows Media Player/Center on the PC. The media room works just fine, but I wish to concurrently play those files in the game room.

My receiver is an Onkyo TXNR-609 which does have a zone 2 connection, but it is not digital, which I failed to recognize soon enough.

My questions are:

1. Can I split the HDMI from the PC, one to the existing receiver for the Media room, one to a simple amp for the game room?

2. If so, is there a quality issue? Such as an output delay between the rooms?

3. If so, what recommendations can you make?

4. Is there a better way, short of upgrading my new receiver to allow digital zone2?

I appreciate any and all insight...I am one to plug in and enjoy, but I want it sounding great!

Thanks.

For discrete audio to second zone most receivers require an analog stereo input. Try to rig up a red/white rca connection fron the computer. Higher end receivers can send a digital signal to zone 2 but just stereo. Higher end yamaha receivers have a party mode that will take a hdmi signal, downmix to stereo for zone 2 only when zone 1 is playing same source, but not discrete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Onkyo has two Zone 2 connections: the speaker wire connection and a component RCA/r+w.

If I connect my speaker wire to RCA plugs and plug into component Zone 2 out, would the digital signal be passed (stereo, I know)?

Have I totally missed your suggestion? I apologize for my lack of knowledge here.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

nope...

besides, you can't drive speakers from the analog line out jacks... that is what is known as a "line level" signal, and would have to be amplified before being fed to a speaker...

fwiw, "component" refers to video...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

what kikkenit said... connect your pc to the avr with analog cables (the "red/white" jacks...

alternatively, use some type of music streaming device...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts