AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to NEW releases, which has more games, the PC or XBOX?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a new computer or just get an XBOX. I use my computer pretty much exclusively for surfing the net. However, in order to play some of the newest games, I am going to have to upgrade my video card. That costs about $200, plus I really should upgrade to a Pentium IV (I have PIII now), and that will cost a couple hundred bucks more.

Why wouldn't I just buy an XBOX for $200 and not worry about upgrading my computer time and time again just to play games?

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hifialan
When it comes to NEW releases, which has more games, the PC or XBOX?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a new computer or just get an XBOX. I use my computer pretty much exclusively for surfing the net. However, in order to play some of the newest games, I am going to have to upgrade my video card. That costs about $200, plus I really should upgrade to a Pentium IV (I have PIII now), and that will cost a couple hundred bucks more.

Why wouldn't I just buy an XBOX for $200 and not worry about upgrading my computer time and time again just to play games?
It all depends on what you want to do and what games you want to play.

I really enjoy playing First Person Shooters on the computer more than a console.

As far as upgrades, you do have to upgrade your console every 3 or 4 years. It's being reported that the next XBOX will arrive in 2005.

The PC defintely has a deeper Library than any console. It's defintely a quandry that even myself have considered. I like playing games on the TV. With a PC there is some connectivity issues. I also have a pretty new computer but the graphics card in there wasn't that good so I got another one.

You have to decide, do I just want to play some games or do I want a gaming rig PC that has all the best and latest graphics.

Another thing to throw in the mix is game rentals. You can't really rent PC games but you CAN rent console games.

Then there are controller issues. With a console, controllers work well for all games. WIth the computer I always found controllers lacking.

Now all that said, there is one company trying to merge consoles and PC's and it MIGHT be worth waiting for. discoverconsole.com is trying to make a console that will play all the PC games out now and it will connect to your TV. One of the units being made is called the APEXTREME. It will cost $400 but some are questioning the somewhat low specs that have been given.

I will probably wait and see what ALIENWARE will be releasing using the DISCOVER system, since they will also be making a game console of their own. apextreme.com is another source of info.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
The main benefit of having a console is simplicity. It's a dedicated hardware to playing games on. No having to deal with OS' or drivers or anything. You buy a game for it and it should work without too many issues(unless the developers have a buggy game;) ). If that's what you're looking for, then a gaming console is the way to go.

But, some people want performance more than anything. They want high res graphics, the ability to download lots of content and maybe the use of a keyboard and mouse. From that standpoint the PC is the way to go.

The best thing you can do is find out what kinds of games you like to play and how you like to play them. From there figure out which side offers you the most things that you're looking for and go for it.

Also, the PS2 and GC are also good consoles that offer some great games. Definitely keep those in mind before picking a system since you do have many options to choose from. Good luck and more than anything, have fun :)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hifialan

If you are a RTS game fan....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
PC:

Pro:

No console can touch it's graphics quality. Seriously, not even close.

The latest and best technology in terms of both hardware and software.

FREE content (mods, demos, etc.)

FREE online gaming for most games (you've got to have a broadband connection either ways, why pay the extra $).

LOTS of games in all genres.

Greater control and more flexibility in game.

More customization capabilities.

MMORPGs, RTSs, simulation and empire building games. These genres are a joke on consoles.

Can be used for countless other things besisdes gaming.

and to quote Homer "It teaches you while you learn." I have never met a PC gamer with poor computer or typing skills. These skills are marketable in the workplace. No one is looking for people with console gaming skills...at least not if you want to make more than $7 and hour.

Con:

Cost (4-6x that of a console)

No rentals (plenty of free demos though, you just can't play all the way through without buying).

Complicated set-up.

High maintance to keep everything at peak performance.

Some times buggy performance (the reason for the last pro ;) ).

Lack of a really solid controller (not sure why people even buy one, just use the keyboard and mouse).

Exessive Noise and Heat (all that power over what a console does produces a lot more heat and requires a lot more cooling).

Inability to play games with multiple people on the same machine.

Upgrade itis (costs more upfront and in the long run).

Consoles:

Pro:

Easy to set-up.

Easy to learn and use.

Can be used on almost any TV and sound system.

Lower cost.

Game rentals.

In game DD (Xbox only feature) (only a few PC titles offer this, not sure why).

Basically no maintence.

Can play with multiple people on the same machine and TV.

People of all skill levels can use and enjoy (you wouldn't want to let your 5 year old nephew play with your computer).

Lots of good controller options.

Con:

Can't be upraded, only replaced.

Extra cost for online play.

Gaming experience limited by hardware performance of several years ago.

Once you've played a game you're done with it. No mods or new maps or other user created content.

Limited support of online capabilites.

Limited support of high-def capable games.

I'm sure there are other things that could be added to all of these but this is what I could come up with right now. I'm sure some people will disagree with me but these are my opinions. I of course am a computer gamer and see no reason to purchase a console. If I was going to buy one though it would be Xbox because of its support of High-Def, in game DD, Hard drive and, the mother of all console FPSs, Halo (Halo 2 coming soon).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome points. I think this pretty much convinces me to go with the XBOX. For the 2-3 games I plan on playing over a year, it seems I can get a ton of enjoyment from the XBOX. I'll hook it up to my HD projector and through my stereo, have a simple setup without the hassle of constant computer upgrade, and when a new console comes out in 2 years, I'll spend the $300 to get the newest thing. Seems I'd save money in the long run, too, because I am not interested in the greatest and best computer system going.

Thanks for everyone's help. This was crucial for me to hear!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Lack of a really solid controller (not sure why people even buy one, just use the keyboard and mouse).

Exessive Noise and Heat
The saitek wireless gamepad is nice, and I'm currently using an old thrustmaster dual analog with rumble. Why buy one? Because if you drive or fly, it's better to have analog precision over digital on/off, and the mouse isn't what I consider a good flight controller :) But you should take lack of solid controller off, not only are there solid gamepad style controllers, the pc has the lion's share of flightsticks and driving wheels. So it's actually a 'pro' that the pc has the *best* peripheral support.

Excessive heat and noise is just poor construction issues. I have neither with my newest computer (self built as always). Use bigger low rpm fans and duct out the outflow (mine is ducted into a cold air return for my heating system, you could also duct it away from you in other ways, this also baffles the outflow fans).

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Good list Kirknelson...although I agree with Komoto about the controller and noise issue. My HTPC never runs hot or loud due to my Zalaman fan. The loudest component is the DVD ROM.

PC games focus on EAX HD rather than DD. This is a pro and con. It is a better on the fly surround sound (more directional/realistic) than DD but requires analog plug-ins rather than a single coax or optical. The one thing that I envy about a console is the amount of split screen mulitplayer games available.

Depending on the TV/projector, the HTPC can also give you the best possible DVD playback resolution/deinterlacing/scaling. It can be fitted for video recording, music storage and playback, internet browsing, and TV tuner.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
PC games focus on EAX HD rather than DD. This is a pro and con. It is a better on the fly surround sound (more directional/realistic) than DD but requires analog plug-ins rather than a single coax or optical. The one thing that I envy about a console is the amount of split screen mulitplayer games available.
Just wanted to point out if that if you have a nforce or nforce2 based motherboard with a MCP-D or MCP-T (aka soundstorm APU) you can get in-game surround out through a digital connection thanks to hardware real-time DD encoding. Might be a reason to go AMD over Intel if you don't have a preference one way or the other (cheaper mobos in general too). Bear in mind you need to make sure you have the correct southbridge to get the DD encoding (not all socket A mobos have the APU with DD encoding capability).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys, well my HTPC was built two years ago and runs 1.4 Ghz oclocked Tualatin celeron , 512 Meg ram and 112 FSB..

With a Geforce 4 MX 440 64 MEg, it handles the latest games nearly perfectly , BF1942 with no lockups, Unreal2 etc.. However with the range of DirectX9 games coming out now, I will be looking to upgrade my graphics card.. and that part only.

My point is that a 1 - 2GHZ cpu is fine if your agp card has the power,

I always think of building a new machine, and hten rmeeber that I really only need a new AGP card, A pentium 3 over 1GHz with a kick ass agp card will wipe consoles out the door without breaking a sweat.

My htpc is in a black desktop case in my tv cabinet under my 43" tv, I use Svideo to the tv, I use logitech wireless accessorries, joystick, game pad and have a hell of a time with it, I would never change it for a console, no way.. it is ultra reliable and started as a dell pc originally, then underwent lots of changes..

Check out the PC screenshots of Max Payne 2 compared to PS2 and Xbox and note the boxiness of the consoles graphics..

If you put some time into it initially , then the HTPC rocks and can be as easy as you want it to be.. I was a newbie two years ago, and have not had to learn anything drastic at all to get it right..

So, first in order of importance I think is AGP card, CPU and then simmer over a nice high FSB speed.. (I use a lowly 112Mhz and that runs fine)

my 2c

Robbi

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kirknelson

Consoles:

Con:

Once you've played a game you're done with it. No mods or new maps or other user created content.
Actually, Xbox live provides free downloads for many of its game, including, but not limited to: new mods for new gametypes, new vehicles, new maps, new weapons, etc. :)

-Juice

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
alright its simple, if you can afford xbox live, get it. If you dont want to pay for multiplayer, get the pc.

Multi platform releases, xbox rules, which means a game isnt worth getting on a non xbox platform if its on the xbox because you will miss so much graphic quality. If a game is translated from the xbox to the pc, xbox looks much better (ie. kotor).

Also xbox doesnt have that many games, especially that last long, where as a game like call for duty on the pc will last you a long time if you like fps.

If you play SPORTS games, omg you have to get the xbox, i considered getting lots of basketball games for my ps2 but saw the xbox versions that look way better, and decided not to get them for my craps2.

Oh and if you have a progressive tv get xbox wether u want it or not.

um.. if you dont care for anything i mentioned and just want good games, sorry it depends wut you like, I like games like call of duty multiplayer.. you really cant get that kind of fluidity in fps mutli games other than on the pc.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My ancient 1GHz athlon rig, 768 PC133 ram, gf4 ti4400 was a pretty decent gaming rig. It was running bf1942 with no fsaa at 1600x1200 (1280x1024 on 64player servers) just fine.

Then I upgraded to a barton xp 3000+ with a gig of pc3200 (DDR400), and high end games like Planetside and StarWarsGalaxies just got a LOT better, with the same agp card that is now the bottlenack in the system because it's not real good at fsaa.

Quote:
If a game is translated from the xbox to the pc, xbox looks much better (ie. kotor).
This is not correct. KotOR running at higher resolutions with screen enhancements like anisotropic filtering and antialiasing blows away the blocky polygonal xbox image.

Re: 5.1 game audio, I'm not sure if SWG supports 5.1 natively, but my nforce2 soundstorm is putting out great 5.1, really, really incredible, and it's fully positional. The game's of middling quality, but the production values, the graphics and sound, are totally stunning.

Really, it's a pretty cut-n-dried issue. PCs cost more and require some more knowledge, but offer a stunning image and deeper playing experience with more genres, the xbox is easy to set up and use and cheap, at the expense of image quality. I rarely play my xbox since I got an hdtv, because the gap in image quality is huge.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
hifialan:

Drive your system with a HTPC, dvd's. TV and games. You'll get the best picture possible this way. Also a smart frugal buyer can maintain a PC relatively cheap, so in the long run it may not be more expensive.

There also are good controllers on the PC. There are a few good gamepads, however steering wheels, flight sticks and custom controls rule all on the PC, no contest there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, not to hijak the thread but this sort of relates to what the original poster was asking.

I love FPS (First Person Shooters). Started out playing them WAY back when on the PC with Castle Wolfstein and Doom, then Half Life - then took a break for awhile. Now I'm on to consoles.

I have to admit I'm a graphics whore and the lure of those graphics on a PC is hard to bear.

However, I'm currently playing Rainbow Six 3 on the XBox and this is what a typical startup to an all night session is like...

1) Hit the power on the xbox and grab the controller

2) In the lazy boy and hit the video input switch on the Sony XBR910

3) Select Live, then Friends List, put on the headset

I'm immediately transported into a world of friends, all playing the same game. As soon as I enter the room everyone recognizes me and calls out my gamertag... let's go guys! This is truely an awesome experience, playing against live opponents never gets dull.

You guys who play multiplayer FPS on the PC, is your experience anything like this? Is it consistent, does it always work this smooth?

If I could have the convenience of what I describe above and the graphics of the PC I'd pay the high price of entry no problem. That's why I'm asking, I honestly don't know what the multiplayer games on PC's are like today.

Thanks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
When I was in a bf1942 clan, yes it was exactly like that, except we ran our own servers and ran scrimmages against other organized clans every night we weren't in official league matches. I'd just dbl-click the teamspeak shortcut that autologged me into our server and then boot up bf1942, easy as that.

Only difference is some initial out-of-game coordination (see the bf1942 thread on this forum).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I first asked my question (PC or XBOX?), I had picked xbox because it had an HDTV output, and I plan on playing games through my HDTV front projector. I thought that HDTV output meant that the graphics on the xbox would at least equal a PC running with a Radeon 9700 agp card. XBOX also has DD, and whatever I buy is going through my hifi system (which is my real hobby -- games are just something different and fun to do rather than vegging out and watching a DVD). Are you all saying that a PC through my projector is just a hands down graphics and audio winner ? Are you also saying that any game that comes out on xbox will be available on the pc?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.