AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want a remote that will let me play/pause/ff and rw files playing in Windows Media Player. It would be a bonus if it also worked like a mouse and allowed file and folder navigation and then allowed one to open the selected file.

Needs to be RF rather than IR and USB based (though at a pinch I could also take an IR based one with a fairly long cord on the IR receiver I suppose). OS on the laptop is XP.

Not looking to spend hundreds of dollars. If I could find something sort of in the $25-$45 range, that would be just the ticket.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update after a few days with the Firefly...I absolutely love it! Does a great job of controlling WMP, up to and including volume control.

Couple of small quirks that I've had to overcome - it doesn't like to RW DRM protected files, but works fine with any others, and going from FF to Play using the Play button actually makes it go from FF to Pause and then you need to press the Play button again to resume. But if you press the FF button to resume playback it works as it is meant to.

I really like the included Beyond Media software and being able to browse files from within it. If only I could delete files from within it too, then life would be complete.

Range of the RF has been fine, and I can control the laptop from anywhere within the house (2 story/2500 sq. ft)

The only problem I've had is that when my laptop (using the s-video out to the TV, this gives a full screen image from WMP independent of what is showing on the laptop screen) finishes playing a file, the last frame of what was showing remains as a still picture on the TV screen. All I have to do to get back to the Beyond Media control panel is use the close button on the remote to shut down WMP. Not a big deal.

A great product for not a whole lot of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.