AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upcoming game section 8 is reported to be able use a windows based PC to run a server program for the Xbox 360 verison of the game for a 32 player game..... I wonder if this will be the next evolution of live or merly an interesting foot note?

Thoughts?

Article
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1013194p1.html

Section 8 Reveals New X Server for 360

Players will be able to host Xbox 360 game servers on their Windows-based PC.

August 12, 2009 - Midlothian, VA - Section 8 publisher SouthPeak Games, along with developer TimeGate Studios, is set to break new ground on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment platform from Microsoft by supporting X Server functionality, an option where players can run their own dedicated servers using a Windows-based PC. An X Server can handle up to 32 players at once, resulting in one of the largest multiplayer games currently available on the Xbox 360. The X server software will be distributed free of charge* upon Section 8's launch. Meanwhile, PC gamers can also run dedicated servers for the PC version of the game allowing up to 40 simultaneous players.

This added functionality is by no means necessary to enjoy the game since Section 8 also features a single player campaign mode and offline 'instant action' where artificially intelligent 'bots' take the place of human opponents. To make sure Section 8 enters battle with all guns blazing; SouthPeak Games will host official ranked PC and X servers in locations around the world. When dedicated servers are not used, Section 8 supports up to 32 players on PC and 16 on Xbox 360.

"FPS fans looking for the perfect multiplayer game expect fast, reliable servers when they're playing online. We go one step further by offering an increased player count and boosting the game play experience to a new level," said Richard Iggo, VP of Marketing at SouthPeak. "We're confident that Section 8's incredible team-based combat and our adoption of cutting-edge server technology provide an experience unlike anything else out there."

More information and availability of the X Server and PC Server software will be available at launch on www.joinsection8.com .

Section 8 is available on PC and Xbox 360 on September 1 in North America.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
not entirely new.... except now the user has the server, instead of the developer/publisher.

AKA, you're paying for the service, but you need to host your own damn server!

this is nice though... many times devs drop the servers, and then the games are gone

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/17037067

I thought with Live! that MS hosted all servers, with VERY few exceptions.

Xbox Live is a matchmaking service, Microsoft doesn't host any game servers.

The players themselves host most games with few exceptions (Such as Battlefield 1943 for one exception).

I thought I saw something recently about a Xbox 360 game that let you have a 360 running as a dedicated host?

It's a good move, more dedicated servers will do nothing but improve the experience (As long as we're allowed to setup our own dedicated servers like this game will apparantly allow, so we're not dependent upon the publisher).

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
I've been yelling for this for console gaming for a loooong time. It'll help reduce lag, since you could set up ranked servers for you and you buddies in your own neck of the internet.

ID and Valve have been doing this for close to a decade, and it's the best way to do it, and it'll also make sure that the game will ALWAYS be playable (although that assumes services for the current consoles (like XBL and PSN) would still be operating, since they're friend matching services are built into these games, but who knows.

There's simple no reason why a Dev studio can't release a server build of a console game for a linux box.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unreal Touranment something or other back on the 360 used to allow you to run an xbox as dedicated server. I used to leave mine running when I went to to work/school as it helped me climb the leaderboard.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If it reduces lag as it should I'm all for it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb /forum/post/17038501

If it reduces lag as it should I'm all for it.

I think it will increase lag as a bunch of peope with crappy computers and crappy connections dedcide to host there own servers and then play on them and wonder why people complain about it being laggy as they kick ass on there server.

I think if I read the release correctly hosted servers won't be ranked

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/17038539

I think it will increase lag as a bunch of peope with crappy computers and crappy connections dedcide to host there own servers and then play on them and wonder why people complain about it being laggy as they kick ass on there server.

I think if I read the release correctly hosted servers won't be ranked

You'll have your bad servers but if you can mark good ones as favorites in the game that would help. Back when I played Quake and CS I always stuck to about a half dozen servers that gave me a 20-30 ping. It made for consistent gaming instead of the current Live system which does allow for a low ping game but not consistently. I'm also speaking ignorantly as I don't know much about networking so I'm stated what I've experienced from my many years of online gaming.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
This is great news. My biggest gripe with XBL has always been the way hosting and matchmaking is done. I much prefer the PC style of online gaming where you have the ability to play on dedicated servers where you have a good ping, and get to play with/against the same people more often. I really hope we move towards this becoming the norm.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was remarking to a friend how back on dreamcast we often managed to have what felt like lagless games for the most part, and using a dial up connection.

And now we have huge pipes (compared to dial up) yet lag can still be a problem, through I understand its very hard to get a low ping experince or multiple hand offs through different companies servers blah blah blah......

We were still playing games, including Unreal Touranment, with little lag... and here we are now still lagg problems being excepeted as common....

It would be awesome if a big internet provider stepped up to the plate and provided an enhaned priority gaming connection.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
well its kinda like.... you can continue to increase how many lanes are on the highway, but you cant convince the govt to increase the speed limits.

more bandwidth doesnt mean less latency.... hell most "cable" customers have anywhere from 8-20 meg connections, but could easily get by with a meg or two, and still have the same amount of "lag"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/17038915

If you thought cheating and glitching were bad before...

i dont think it'll be an issue.. the servers will be secure and mod free, they'll probably incorporate heavy crc checking to insure the code is 100%, etc.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/17038261

ID and Valve have been doing this for close to a decade

It's been going on for much more than a decade, dedicated servers have been there since pretty much the beginning of online gaming in the early 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/17038539

What do you think your playing on now when your doing something like Halo 3? Your playing on someone's server they're hosting while their 360 at the same time is also handling running their game .

With a dedicated server, it removes the second half of that equation and allows your 360 (Or PC) and connection to concentrate on just the networking for those connected to the server, rather than also having to run the game for the host to play on.

It will only decrease lag, not increase it.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/17038919

well its kinda like.... you can continue to increase how many lanes are on the highway, but you cant convince the govt to increase the speed limits.

more bandwidth doesnt mean less latency.... hell most "cable" customers have anywhere from 8-20 meg connections, but could easily get by with a meg or two, and still have the same amount of "lag"

Well, bit's can't travel faster then the speed of electricity, so you're kind of correct.

The real issue is how ones data is routed, and the latency between nodes and players. great thing about letting people set up their own dedicated servers is you could set one up, and players close to you would find it pining very good, and use it, while those in say Hong Kong, would move on to their local servers.

As it is now with consoles, servers are only offered in a few locations set strategically by the console makers, or everything is P2P ala COD4 and depends on the host.

I'd rather see options for home boxes as dedicated servers, and P2P, for longevity; thus games MP will never die when cost to operate the propitiatory severs doesn't make fiscal sense with the number of player playing.

I can still and always will be able to play DOOM and HL as long as the PC can still run it. Resident Evil outbreak was shut down completely and is now worthless because Capcom didn't want to pay to keep even a few of it's servers running.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames /forum/post/17039851

It will only decrease lag, not increase it.

yes, and no.

his point was the game is always picking (what it thinks is) the best host.

but in the future, you'll have kids that dont know what they're doing on 1-2meg DSL with no upload running servers..... at first you'll have an overabundance of crummy servers... but eventually serious guys will have serious servers, good uptimes, good pings, etc.... just like how it is now.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You have people like that now, dedicated servers won't change it. For example there's a European that is always playing Outrun Online Arcade and always is hosting matches at hours when no Europeans are playing and its mainly Americans and Canadians, forcing people to do searches multiple times sometimes to get into a server that is hosted more locally so there isn't terrible lag. He never joins matches, just sits there hosting while people unknowlingly get matched up with him and have a horrible race.

Anyone that is serious enough to set something up to serve as a dedicated host is more likely to not be an idiot and attempt it when he doesn't have the bandwidth to support it. Plus, I would expect any game that fleshes things out that far to support dedicated hosting would have a decent set of online options that would let you sort servers based on connection quality and so on.

Dedicated servers won't make it any easier for people with poor connections to host than the current system where players host everything in most 360 games. But it will make the good and even poor connections better suited for hosting than they would be if they also had to run the game itself and handle its graphics processing and everything else involved in running a game like the situation is now in most of the 360's library.

It seems like some of you think Microsoft host all your matches and that allowing player ran dedicated servers would change that. The reality is that in the vast majority of 360 games, online multiplayer already depends on players hosting matches that they're also participating in simultaneousily on the same 360.

By allowing dedicated servers ran by players, the workload of your hardware hosting the match has been drastically cut down and the quality of the experience for the players connected to it is better than it would be if the host was also playing on it. There's no yes or no about it, the same hardware and connection hosting peer-to-peer will always offer a worse experience for the players connected to it than that hardware if its running a dedicated server for a game.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you forumalnerd. That was my point, also people with PC hardware that isn't powerful, or there'll be running an old slow single core CPU while downloading music, in the background and having someone using the pc for something like burning dvd's or watching youtube HQ/HD

At least when the xbox hosts a game it's a computer with a fairly powerful CPU that is highly optimized.

I suspect the 3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core cell/Xenon processor of the 360 would put most peoples CPU's to shame, and most people I don't mean anyone that has posted on this board.

With all that said if I could dedicate my old computer to run a dedicate MW server so me and people around me could play with out lag I think I would.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/17040051

Thank you forumalnerd. That was my point, also people with PC hardware that isn't powerful, or there'll be running an old slow single core CPU while downloading music, in the background and having someone using the pc for something like burning dvd's or watching youtube HQ/HD

If this were the case, online PC gaming would have been crippled by lag, as it has almost always been based on a dedicated server model. Of course there will be some poor quality servers, but generally, the online experience would be improved by allowing people to set up dedicated servers with PCs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.