AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Only after reading this forum do I learn that really good things are not necessarily sold on Amazon. I bought a Logitech Z2300 speakers and in my opinion .... garbage. Loud, bass, no mids .... sound quality poor.

Being a musician I can hear the quality in sound and truly enjoy when I get it.

I did my research and found that under $300, some good spears are

Swan M200mkII

AudioEngine A5

Swan M10 (kinda ok)

etc.

My question ..........

Will I really hear the $300 speaker quality with a standard sound card that came with my PC 3 years ago??? Really, am I wasting time and money on these high end speakers>?

thank you.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
it is really hard to tell, but if you have true hi-bitrate mp3, WMA, or lossless digital files you will get better decoding with a new, higher end soundcard.

One thing is for sure, your existing card will sound a lot better played on something like the M200MKII speakers. If, after some extended listening you feel a newer, better sound card is needed - then you buy one based on your testing, not an opinion.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You won't be wasting your money if you bought new $300 speakers.

1) New speakers like Audioengine are much more neutral than any of the Logitechs. You will definitely hear an improvement there. Your built in soundcard won't affect that

2) New speakers will play louder and more cleanly than Logitech. You will definitely hear an improvement there.

3) New speakers will be more detailed sounding. So you can separate instruments better from each other.

Where you want a new soundcard over computer soundcard

- Built in sound can have a lot of background hiss, pops, ticks, and pick up interference from inside your computer. A new soundcard may help there.

- A new soundcard may be able to handle high resolution files (better than CD). Some built-in cards need the sound to be converted down to CD quality sound.

For the most part, you will be fine. I'd recommend something like a NuForce uDac for a clean sounding, no frills 2 speaker soundcard.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Its impossible to tell without knowing more about exactly what card you have. However I will say that most of the on motherboard sound chips i've used are pretty bad, both in SNR and frequency response. This is mostly the implementation, they are cramped for space and are located near a lot of noise producing circuitry, that being said there is no reason to spend a ton of cash. I use a M-audio Fast-Track Pro which may be a worthwhile investment if you like to record as well, it does a solid job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The sound is only as good as the weakest link.

A computer sound card can function well as a DAC, but the problem arises when you ask it to also perform the functions of a pre-amp. Better sound cards will sound better, with better speakers, but...

...at a certain point, it becomes worthwhile to use an external system to handle the DAC and pre-amp capabilities.

I used a Xonar DX2 with a set of Audioengine A5s, which is a higher end sound card, but after I offloaded everything to a Peachtree Nova, the improvement in sound quality increased a tremendous amount. I know there's cheaper options out there like NuForce if you want to look into it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you plan to use powered speakers then in my opinion it's worth using a good sound card . But anytime you do that there is no guaranty that drivers will always be available.

I prefer using an old receiver to drive decent speakers and a small subwoofer. In that case you would use the digital-out port on the built-in card to supply the signal to the receiver.

Edited: See above.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You will hear the difference. I have used a sound card in the past but currently have my little amp/speaker/sub setup connected directly to the minijack out of my computer. Sounds, great, and sounds way better than the "computer" speakers I had before.

·
Registered
484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19604162

If you plan to use powered speakers then in my opinion it's worth using a good sound card . But anytime you do that there is no guaranty that drivers will always be available.

I prefer using an old receiver to drive decent speakers and a small subwoofer. In that case you would use the digital-out port on the built-in card to supply the signal to the receiver.

Edited: See above.

+1 I went from a set of "computer speakers with powered sub" to a Yamaha A-S700 amp with a pair of Vienna Acoustic Haydns using my computer on board sound card and what a difference. No need to upgrade the sound card as long as all you are interested in is stereo source material. If you want to play more channels then use an AVR that will create the extra channels and or upgrade to a sound card that synths the extra channels such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271002 Then to get the best sound possible find lossless audio files from a place like https://www.hdtracks.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts