Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the information!

What I'm looking for, though, is to be able to view my PC images on a large screen television. From what I understand of Access DTV, it performs the reverse: allowing me to display a HDTV signal on my PC. Perhaps I missed something? I'm getting a bit on in years, and am dropping random bytes here and there... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jim

·
Registered
250 Posts
That all depends on the monitor/TV that you get. You need to get an HDTV compatible TV with a VGA connection or RGBHV connection. The AccessDTV card will decode and output the HDTV signal. It's the equivalent of the HDTV receiver (DTC-100 for example), but in a computer instead of a stand-alone box.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Jim, I think the only new developments other than the HDTV

cards are the ATI Radeon video cards which are supposed to be

the best currently on the market. You can search the forum

to get all the info on the card.

------------------

Trevor

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It's rumored that the Radeon cards can produce true HD component output, but the drivers do not yet allow access to this feature.

If this is true, the is should be possible to set a Radeon up to produce 1080i or 720 HD component output that the TV will have no trouble syncing with.

You might try a search on the HTPC forum for the Radeon and HDTV to see what pops up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please excuse me if this has been under discussion recently; my search didn't bring up the results I was looking for:

I've read the "Definitive Guide" (October 2000) on displaying custom resolutions, and was wondering if there are either HDTV receivers about to be released, or HDTV-out video cards that will simplify the connection of a computer to a HDTV monitor at 1080i/p resolution? We have a need to display presentation graphics for technical meetings, and would like to use a large screen (65" or so) HDTV receiver for multimedia.

Conjecture, sage advice, and 20-20 crystal balls welcome!

thanks in advance!

Jim

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

You might want to check out the AccessDTV card/service.

A little spendy, but does just about everything you would want for HDTV on a PC: http://www.accessdtv.com/

You can buy the card at www.digitalconnection.com

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am using the hauppauge computers win tv hd card. It will run in a dual monitor mode and can display 1080i or 720p at full resolution. it does not yet have the pcvcr capabilities of the access card however. you can get more information from their web page www.hauppauge.com

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know how to get the winTV HD with 1.7 s/w to recognize the sub channels... I cannot figure out how to get 27.1, 27.2 etc....

tiim sweeney

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know how to get the winTV HD with 1.7 s/w to recognize the sub channels... I cannot figure out how to get 27.1, 27.2 etc....
tdsweeney -

It doesn't do it by default but somewhere on the CD there is a file called UseMultiCastPSIP.reg (spelling?) that will change a registry entry for you. After that the sub channels will appear on the pop up menu you get by holding the right mouse button.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Yount:
Please excuse me if this has been under discussion recently; my search didn't bring up the results I was looking for:

I've read the "Definitive Guide" (October 2000) on displaying custom resolutions, and was wondering if there are either HDTV receivers about to be released, or HDTV-out video cards that will simplify the connection of a computer to a HDTV monitor at 1080i/p resolution? We have a need to display presentation graphics for technical meetings, and would like to use a large screen (65" or so) HDTV receiver for multimedia.

Conjecture, sage advice, and 20-20 crystal balls welcome!

thanks in advance!

Jim
Jim:

Frankly I don't think you need any new developments in HD if all you want to do is simply display presentation graphics on a big screen digital TV.

For example this $3000 MSRP

RCA 61" Diagonal Digital High-Resolution Projection Monitor-Receiver should be able to display a standard desktop without any special software or any special HD tuner cards or top-of-the-line video graphics cards. Just connect the VGA out of a PC's video card to the VGA in of this 4:3 monitor with standard monitor cable.

For your application you don't really need or want a widescreen HDTV because a normal PC desktop runs at a 4:3 aspect ratio.

However, if you want to use the display to view presentation graphics AND watch HD programming that's a different matter. If so, you may want to post this in the Home Theater Computers forum as well. You would have to build a Home Theater PC (HTPC) with an HD Tuner card, a suitable video graphics card, and some specialized sofware to do custom resolutions, and aspect ratio control, etc.

Larry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Larry,

Thanks for the information! It looks like convergence is getting closer and closer.

Do you know if the RCA you cite is capable of displaying a computer desktop at 720p/1080i resolutions? I do high end photoshop work, and would really like a nice crisp display.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Jim:

Here's an additional information page:

RCA MM61110

And here's some relevant excerpts:

The RCA Digital High-Resolution Monitor is a true SYNCROSCANâ„¢ display. This gives you professional quality monitor capability with a system that automatically detects signals with video display requirements from 15.7 kHz to 37.7 kHz. Connecting your computer to the (S)VGA input delivers 480,000 pixels of resolution.

The RCA Digital High-Resolution Monitor can display 1080i (interlaced) television signals (1,330,560 pixels) when you combine this television with an RCA DTC100 HD/Digital Receiver.

The way I interpret this is that you can connect a conventional PC without any special software or hardware to the VGA connector and you will receive SVGA resolutions (800x600) 480,000 pixels. The resulting image should use the full 4:3 display area without letterboxing.

Connecting a properly equipped HTPC with special software (i.e., PowerStrip for custom resolutions, YXY for aspect ratio control, etc.) and suitable graphics cards (Radeon or GeForce, etc.) to the component inputs will accommodate 540p/1080i HD resolutions (1,330,560 pixels). To connect to the component inputs will require an RGB to component transcoder. It is also likely that when connecting a 540p/1080i signal to the component inputs the raster will compress to the 16:9 aspect ratio giving you a letterboxed image. Therefore a portion of the large 61" 4:3 display will likely be filled with black or gray bars giving you a 56" display.

This digital TV can not display 720p since its maximum horizontal scan rate is 37.7 Khz and 720p requires 45 kHz.

Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.