AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all i would like to say hi, im new here and a friend said i would most likely find my answer here

i've been watching video from my pc on my 58" panasonic for a week now using s-video. the video quality is decent but i want to use the component video input so i wouldn't have to change my desktop resolution each time since s-video can only go up to 1024x768 and i use 1280x1024 on my desktop.

i obtained a vga-component adapter and connected it to my tv as vga2 from my ATI AIW9600XT. the computer detected it as a second monitor which was ok but i thought it would be detected as YPbPr. so i enabled the second monitor, set it to clone and the resulting picture was all out of whack (attached photo below).

i tried updating my video card driver but that didn't help. any ideas? and no i did no connect the cable wrong.

thnx in advance

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Windows does not support different res and refresh rates on clone mode. Try extended mode.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Are you using the HD inputs on the HDTV? What Cat version are you using? I have the same AIW and am connected to a PJ. Does the HDTV support both 720p and 1080i? YOU need to know this before you start expecting it to interpret a HD YPbPr signal. Do you have the correct DIPs set on the dongle? Go into CCC and see whether it sees the HDTV -- you may have to select it from within CCC as it MAY be seeing the VGA2 as a display.

PERSONALLY I use the CCC Profile and Hot-keys to switch between the display and HDTV. I have had POOR experience getting them to operate simeltaneously.

ALL for now... try these and report back

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying

Tried same res and refresh, no good

Yes its connect to to the HD inputs; newest Catalyst version 5.7; the tv supports 480p and 1080i; its not the official ati converter so no settings on the dongle; and no it doesnt see it as hdtv, just vga2. And this CCC is new to me... where do i select it?

after reviewing the user manual for the video card, the official ati vga-component converter comes with a cd which i need to install something (AIB_DRV)?

sorry for being such a hassle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just tried using the HDTV WONDER drivers but no go

also when windows is loading up, the windows logo looks all pink and distorted just like in the picture above. does this mean my adapter is defective?

im beginning to believe i will have to purchase the $50 ati dongle to get this to work.

anyone else using a third party adapter?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I NEVER bought the dongle! When Cat 5.4 was issued ATi did something to make PowerStrip NOT work with their display driver so I was FORCED to find this fix.

READ THIS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5784331

I don't want to rehash the fix. The Catalyst Control Center is a utility that ATi has -- you would have to download it, and MS .NET to get it to work. I don't know if you are against using it, but it does pretty good and the others say CCC has gotten to be reliable and not as much o' memory hog as it once was.

What is your HDTV model #? Even withOUT using this patch, you should consider the CCC route -- with CCC you can select 1080i. Even w/o ccc you can FORCE 1080i inder the ATi Control Panel's TV tab, Troubleshoot and FORCE (720p or 1080i) to see how the HDTV responds -- but if it doesn't recognize the dongle then you may be screwed and using the Patch might be your best choice -- it's FREE too ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks andrew! i can finally see a picture with proper colors with that patch.

now my problem is the image is a bit jittery; i can see the green/red/blue is not aligned (on black text) when i go up to the tv, but its fine with my satelite or dvd player. is this because th refresh rate is 30hz? i can't set it any higher. i'm also getting overscan on all sides (using 1776x1000) or can this be easily fixed with a custom resolution?

oh and its a panasonic PT-56WX51C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.