AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any decent PC-to-HDTV with a Hitachi using anything better than S-Video? I'd like to do Component or DVI to a 57UWX20B. I tried connecting via DVI, but the Hitachi did not seem to recognize the input (it just stayed on the Component input default for Input #1 -- which is what it does until it sees a DVI input). It is possible that my card (an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro) was never properly outputting DVI though. Note that I am fully willing to switch to a new video card if I can keep it under $100 or so. So, if anyone recommends a good video card that will allow me to do straight DVI to the TV -- or can get a DVI->Component dongle (and then I'll do Component to my TV, of course) at a reasonable price, please let me know!

I don't need top-of-the-line graphics speed -- as long as the output is good on the HDTV. Native DirectX9 support would be a plus.

In any case, in the end, I want to play some games in a decent resolution -- in widescreen -- on the HDTV. If anyone has any experience with this, please detail what type of setup you have (video card, cabling, games played, and so on).

Thanks much!

- John...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got my HTPC hooked up to my Hitachi 51S500 with good results using an ATI Radeon 9600Pro. I have it connected with a DVI cable and I am using Powerstrip to create the custom timings necessary to display an image properly. You'll have to look into using Powerstrip and it will take a little bit to get things configured. Powerstrip is a software application that allows you to define custom resolutions, timings for display devices. I have limited experience with it, as I have just started using it. I know if you do a search here you will find lots of detailed information about using it.

So far I have watched DVD through my HTPC in 1080i played WMVHD sample files and played a few games with great results.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used PowerStrip a little bit, but I'm still new to it.

Can you tell me what settings/timings you are using in PowerStrip that are working for you from that card to that Hitachi?

Also -- when you are outputting to your TV using DVI -- can you still have your monitor connected to the VGA port on the card? And, are you using the "Clone" mode stuff? Or extended desktop? Or what?

Also -- in PowerStrip, I don't see anything to tell it to apply the timings to the DVI port -- just to the VGA port. Or are they both tied directly together and adjusting one adjusts the other?

Thanks much!

- John...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Do a search in this forum, there are huge threads giving all the timings you'll need. I have a 51SWX20b with a HTPC attached via DVI. I've been able to use most custom resolutions via Powerstrip with it including 1080i. The only resolutions that don't seem to work are 4x3 resoltions in HD timings (like 800x600 in a 1280x720 timing).

You can have a monitor hooked to the vga port at the same time and have a dual monitor setup. I've actually had all 3 outputs connected at the same time (DVI, VGA, and S-video). If it's set up correctly, you won't have any virtual desktop problems.

Powerstrip adjusts the "primary" display as set in the ATI control panel.

Dave G.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I can't seem to find a way to change the "primary" to the DVI port connected HDTV -- that's my problem.

ATI's control panel doesn't see anything on the DVI. If I force it to detect my TV using the Troubleshooting override, that seems to enable the S-Video only -- not the DVI port.

Therefore, I can't seem to enable the DVI port -- in which case, I can't set it as Primary to have PowerStrip adjust it...

Am I missing something?

- John...

·
Registered
477 Posts
You gotta dig in the forum. You don't need to change anything in the ATI Control Panel.

1. Use only your DVI Display for starters

2. You need Powerstrip probably.

3. Use Cat3.4 or 4.1.

And about a million other things you have to pay attention to :)

However, once you get it all setup the results are fantastic!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by moshmothma

You gotta dig in the forum.

I have dug in numerous forums. I found few people using the DVI output on their cards to do it -- and I found NO ONE doing it with the DVI output on the 9000 card -- which appears to have some DVI "issues."

Quote:
You don't need to change anything in the ATI Control Panel.
Then I don't see how I can enable the DVI output.

Quote:
1. Use only your DVI Display for starters
If I connected nothing to the video card except the DVI to the Hitachi, I get no picture -- the Hitachi doesn't even think there is a DVI source connected.

Quote:
2. You need Powerstrip probably.
Yes, I would assume so -- and have been trying to get it to work with various adjustments. However, there is really little point to that -- since I'm not adjusting anything relevant if the 9000's DVI port doesn't even become enabled/active...

Quote:
3. Use Cat3.4 or 4.1.
Yes, got that -- thanks. :)

Quote:
And about a million other things you have to pay attention to :)

However, once you get it all setup the results are fantastic!
With other cards, I think so -- which is why I might go buy another soon. With the 9000, I haven't found anyone using the DVI port directly to a DVI input on an HDTV and has it working. And I've searched all over the place...

All I found was two other people in the same boat as me: their TV never gets anything from the DVI output from the 9000.

If you see any post of anyone with a 9000 card getting HDTV output from their DVI port, please feel free to direct me to it. Thanks.

- John...

·
Registered
191 Posts
" I have a 51SWX20b with a HTPC attached via DVI. I've been able to use most custom resolutions via Powerstrip with it including 1080i."

Alleluja !!!! Great News - I have the same set. Now to get the htpc DONE!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used a 9000 originally and it worked great. I think your monitor should detect a signal from your video card IF you have Powerstrip setup properly (Resolutions, frequencies etc...). Look in the official Powerstrip thread for some timings to go from.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have looked. I see nothing about enabling the DVI port. The 9000 doesn't think there is anything connected to it. The Control Panel shows the DVI port clearly disabled.

PowerStrip can only change the output of the PRIMARY display. You can't make the DVI port the Primary display if it isn't enabled...

How can I make PowerStrip affect the DVI port if I can't make it Primary?

- John...

·
Registered
779 Posts
You guys are not helping....

right click on some open space on your desktop. Choose properties.

go to the "settings" tab.

Do you see 2 boxes (labeled 1 & 2) in the monitor icon's box?

Is one of them greyed out? If so, right click on that montor box (I'm guessing it will be labeled 2), and choose "attached". This will enable the second port on your card.

Now right click again on the same monitor box, and choose "primary" - this will make the DVI port the primary display.

Make sure you hit "apply" in the lower right hand corner when your finished making changes.

just a few gotcha's....

1) There are some ATI cards that don't boot up properly when there is no VGA connection (only DVI). In that case you need to make a dummy VGA connector. Search the posts here if this seeems to be an issue

2) I can see my machine boot from a DVI connection (to a Hitachi - the previous model from yours) with a 9700. There may be other issues here - Are you sure you have the right DVI cable?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by orbitzboy

right click on some open space on your desktop. Choose properties.

go to the "settings" tab.

Do you see 2 boxes (labeled 1 & 2) in the monitor icon's box?
Yes. I'm familiar with how dual monitor setups work.

Quote:
Is one of them greyed out? If so, right click on that montor box (I'm guessing it will be labeled 2), and choose "attached". This will enable the second port on your card.
No, that actually enables the S-Video port on the card -- not the DVI. And it only enables the S-Video because it either properly detects that I have the S-Video plugged into something -- or, if I don't have the cable connected, because I can override and force the S-Video enabled. The DVI port has no such option -- and activating the second monitor does not activate the DVI port.

Again, the 9000 must detect the DVI connected to something to be enabled...

Quote:
Now right click again on the same monitor box, and choose "primary" - this will make the DVI port the primary display.
Nope -- makes the S-Video Primary.

Quote:
2) I can see my machine boot from a DVI connection (to a Hitachi - the previous model from yours) with a 9700.
Yes, I have lots of reports of the 9500/9600/9700 working fine. And the 8500. Just not the 9000. The 9000 appears to be a problem -- which could be the reason why ATI sells a component dongle for the rest of them and not the 9000 too...

Quote:
There may be other issues here - Are you sure you have the right DVI cable?
Yes.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

- John...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.