40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Suppose I want to be simple and don't want to mess around with powerstrip,

and don't care if some pixels are wasted. How can I display my PC content

with HS10 via DVI? I always get 4:3 not 16:9 image. So have to use mouse

to see the missing part. I thought if I just display 1280x768 I lost some pixel

but everything else should be fine.

My OS is Windows 98SE and video card is ATI 9600.

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks, Chunu

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can use component output. Might need a dongle for your ATI card. Do a google search for it. Any of the HDTV resolutions will output 16:9. The latest ATI drivers also allow 1080i (I read that, have not tried it).

·
Registered
845 Posts
There was a post a while back that contained a monitor.inf file that someone created from powerstrip. This will allow you to set a 1:1 pixel mapped resolution without having to purchase powerstrip (which I assume is what you're trying to avoid). Let me know if you can't find it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think that under Win 98SE AS WELL AS Win ME the Ati drivers NO MATTER WHAT chunu tries WILL ALWAYS create a virtual desktop...(scrolling 1024*720..) This even applies for 56 hz resolutions. In this case HS10 starts from the upper left corner the resolution BUT STILL it is a 4:3 virtual resolution! I had this problem a year ago. No one came with an answer. I gave up and switched to XP. It worked fine right from the beginning!!!ACTUALLY no one has achieved full16:9 resolution (not virtual desktop) under WIN ME WIN 98 etc in Computer mode. My advice: Don't lose your time switch to XP!

Jdives alternative solution for GBR mode can work with the problems mentioned. A 1166*668 50pal/60ntsc hz will fill your screen with no under/over scanning in GBR mode if you insist on Win 98SE. It will even correct microstutter created by the 56hz limit in Computer mode!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LeonidasVouros
... ACTUALLY no one has achieved full16:9 resolution (not virtual desktop) under WIN ME WIN 98 etc in Computer mode. My advice: Don't lose your time switch to XP! ...
Wrong.

I have no problems with full 16:9 resolution @ 56HZ with my HS10 and I am using WIN98SE.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have almost come to the conclusion that XP is required.

But hdtv_moron's comment gives me some hope. So how did you do it?

Thanks for all the replies.

Chunu

·
Registered
405 Posts
One year ago I posted the same question as chunu and at that time I was using WinME. No one answered to my question and by doing a search in Forum's archeive I found out that other members with similar to mine problems gave up SWITCHED to WIN XP!!!!

So just curious now HDTV_moron how did you manage to overcome the virtual desktop (computer mode, 1366*768)??? Did ati fix its drivers?

·
Registered
405 Posts
hdtv_moron 'Matrox G400.'

Ok so chunu you have three options:

1.Drop Win 98 SE switch to Win XP and KEEP your ATI 9600

2.Keep Win98SE but change your card to a Matrox G400 or finally

3. Keep both Win98SE and Ati 9600 and use either the 1280*720 (as Jdlive suggested) or the 1166*668 resolution ONLY in GBR mode loosing the 1:1 pixel mapping benefit as well as ENABLING the internal scaler of the HS10 with all the disadvantages that this means

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK seems XP is the only way as I don't want to change card.

But it will be very painful. All the software installed through the years.

Maybe I will live with option3 until I have enough time and courage.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chunu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.