AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to run my pc to my tv over component if possible. I have an Olevia 42" tv that receives a signal from my receiver. My tv is across the room connected to the receiver using cat5 and component baluns, and the receiver only has component, so HDMI won't work.

I was considering using a GeForce 8600 or something similar to pipe a component connection to the receiver. In the past, the desktop was unviewable, showing blurry and oversaturated when using an analog connection. I just put an 8600GT in my other machine, and the dongle is what gave me the idea. Would that be a true HDTV signal, or just an S-video? The overscan is what has been an issue in the past, where it was impossible to read file names, etc. Would I still have this problem? I want this mainly for surfing on my tv. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
component is 1080i max usually.

1080i is not horrible, but not a 1080p either, it will get deinterlaced to 1080p.

Is the set itself 1080p or 1366x768?

If it's 1366x768 then you should go VGA probably since you can get native. Also check your menu settings for native. Most video cards can compensate for overscan in their drivers.

any good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the lcd is 720p.

It seems that the component dongle is just upconverting an s-video signal. is this correct?

I already have another cat5e that I could run the vga over, which is one thing I was thinking. I believe that will give me the clearest picture.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The TV should have a "just scan" option where it does not overscan. Component out is OK and should be capable of better resolutions than Svideo. Make sure you're using the native resolution for the TV for the best picture.

Peter

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxandreflect /forum/post/14324940

It seems that the component dongle is just upconverting an s-video signal. is this correct?

Incorrect. S-video can only output SD, the Nvidia component dongle connects to additional pins in the s-video-looking connector on the card bracket to deliver component video, which is capable of HD resolutions. You will want to send a 1280x720 pixel signal to your TV. It is easy to configure in the display driver.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. One last question. Would the resolution of the component be better than hooking up a VGA balun and running a vga signal to the lcd?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most of the Olevia tvs use VGA as a component input. In a matter of speaking, it is in fact EXACTLY like component. Both component and VGA connectors will be able to supply your tv with the resolution its capable of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts