Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

Just thought I would throw this out and ask who has had success using PC to Plasma via DVI and been successful.

Am planning trying to play DVD this way. Will it work?

PC -

DVD ROM drive

Graphic card - ATI 9500 pro with TV out via DVI to plasma NEC VP4

*** i dont know if 9500pro does DVI-A or DVI-D***

Sound card - SB Audigy 2 to Denon 3803 (havent figured out with Audio Input or CABLE tyoe to use on receiver yet )

Any thoughts ? Suggestions?

Many Thanks......

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dbuff
Hello -

Just thought I would throw this out and ask who has had success using PC to Plasma via DVI and been successful.

Am planning trying to play DVD this way. Will it work?

PC -

DVD ROM drive

Graphic card - ATI 9500 pro with TV out via DVI to plasma NEC VP4

*** i dont know if 9500pro does DVI-A or DVI-D***

Sound card - SB Audigy 2 to Denon 3803 (havent figured out with Audio Input or CABLE tyoe to use on receiver yet )

Any thoughts ? Suggestions?

Many Thanks......
I have my HTPC connected to my Sampo 50" PME-50X6 via a DVI cable. I'm using an ATI 9500 Pro card to do it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have connected my Mac (ATI 9000 Pro) via DVI (long cable, can't remember how long though, at least 2.5meters) to my NEC HD - completely successful - I LOVE IT !

·
23,030 Posts
Some older plasma's DVI inputs were meant for PCs only and don't function with

the new DVI output DVD players (even those without HDCP). I don't recall anybody

complaining that connecting a PC to a plasma did not work. I believe most, if not

all, plasma DVI inputs are DVI-D - not totally sure.

larry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Success!

With a Panasonic 50PHD6UY and an ATI 9700 Pro card. You didn't mention which plasma you had. DVD's are great with ATI DVD player. It was a little tricky trying to get native resolution though :)

Santo

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
snuci and others -

have NEC 42vp4 display

question - have audigy2 sound card -how did you connect your audio out to AV receiver? i mean like what kind of cables?

is it kinda plug and play ? or does this all get more involevd?

did you have to use powerstrip to get right resolutions out of 9700pro?

any advantage to use a DVD player with DVI if they can just run off PC

with card that does DVI?

thanks again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
snuci,

I would love to know how you did it. I tried all the threads on the subject using powerstrip and I cant make it work. I have your same exact setup.

Radeon 9700 pro and TH-50PHD6UY. Some help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you please post you powerstip params?

G

Quote:
Originally posted by snuci
Success!

With a Panasonic 50PHD6UY and an ATI 9700 Pro card. You didn't mention which plasma you had. DVD's are great with ATI DVD player. It was a little tricky trying to get native resolution though :)

Santo

·
23,030 Posts
dbuf,

Try the HTPC forum. Your question(s) will be "no brainers" to some

folks there. Also, some people believe HTPC DVD playesr are the only

way to go.

larry

·
Registered
158 Posts
To get it to work, I had to modify a monitor driver, install this driver and then the extra resolutions were available. I then used PowerStrip to tweak the plasma display.

I tried so many things until something worked so I don't remember how I installed everything and it what order, nor do I have my Powerstrip settings. I'm at work right now but I'm going to try a couple of things to simplify it and then I'll post.

Santo

·
Registered
235 Posts
I recently hooked up my HTPC via DVI to my new Akai 4294, output from an older NVidia GF4 4600 (just a proof-of-concept setup, planning on getting a non-Pro ATI 9600 soon). Powerstrip made it easy, it worked great once I set for 848x480 rez...one of the presets in P'strip...

Anyway, I expected to do more tweaking after all I've read around here, but it works great, I've mostly watched DVD's with it, but WinXP desktop looks great too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.