AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently hooked up my ATI x850xt to my 46" Sony kp 46wt520 (rear projection crt) via component cables. I was able to get the display working correctly at 1776x1000I but the flickering was quite bad, especially in windows. Tried 1280x720 (my tv scales it to 1080I) and even 720x480P. All resolutions worked ok for games, but the desktop and any menus flickered a LOT. I figured it was because the image was interlaced, but even in 480P there was quite a bit of flicker. When I play an xbox game in 480P (also via component) there is 0 flicker. When playing a 720P or 1080I game there is obviously a bit of flicker, mostly showing up on white backgrounds, but nothing near how much the screen flickered when having the pc hooked up, even when in 480P. What could be causing this? The component cables are of high quality and are shielded (I've used them with a dvd player with non problem). Would hooking the pc up via a dvi-->hdmi cable yield better results? How about if I had a dedicated video out card?

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
You may want to try increasing the refresh rate from your PC/ATI software

-Rajiv

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Flicker is normally caused by incorrect refresh rates. You can check/adjust w/ Powerstrip or you can also try DVI.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does changing the pc refresh rate affect how the image will be displayed on the tv? I didn't try it since I just assumed that since the tv refresh rate was fixed, changing the pc refresh wouldn't chance anything. I'm pretty sure the pc was set to 60hz

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[email protected] is what is needed. It may be 30.002 or 29.997. Use Power strip for accuracy...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Are you using Powerstrip?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
If you are using a 1080i resolution a 1080 line PC desktop, then fine detail will flicker at 30Hz, because it will only be present in one field. Is this the flicker you are seeing - fine text and window edges seeming to flash?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never needed to. I just set the res. in the Catalyst drivers and it worked ok (overscan-wise). Never touched Powerstrip, I thought it was to deal with overscan. Is there any way of knowing what the exact refresh rate needs to be? There was obviously wrong with my setup since even 480P was shaking quite badly..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sneals2000: No, not the interlace flicker. I've played some xbox 720P and 1080I games, and what I was getting was WAY different. To the point where text was not readable. I can notice the xbox interlacing on menus and light backgrounds, but its different. Something definitely didn't jive with my setup..

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_69
Sneals2000: No, not the interlace flicker. I've played some xbox 720P and 1080I games, and what I was getting was WAY different. To the point where text was not readable. I can notice the xbox interlacing on menus and light backgrounds, but its different. Something definitely didn't jive with my setup..
OK - though don't forget the XBox will have been designed with interlace displays in mind - which is why you don't see terrible interline flicker in 480i, whereas a PC running with a 480i desktop would look really bad.

I run a 1024x576/50i desktop to feed my 50Hz TV via its RGB inputs with a converter cable - and I get terrible interlace flicker on Windows text. However Media Center, which I run on this, has menus and text designed for interlace display, and this doesn't flicker.

What is the kind of flicker you are seeing? Is it a large area flicker - where solid colours change luminance level, a fine detail flicker where fine detail flashes, a judder on motion (where static stuff is fine, but moving detail looks juddery or irregular), or a wobble in the horizontal axis, where the top of the picture seems to be wobbling?

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you are working within the windows interface you must use a 60Hz signal such as 848x480 or 856x480, don't even bother with interlace except when running video. You can have powerstrip automaticly change the res for you depending on what program you are using.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did try 480P res. To my astonishment, the flicker was still there. I need to hook the pc up again and play around with it a bit..

·
Registered
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_69
I did try 480P res. To my astonishment, the flicker was still there. I need to hook the pc up again and play around with it a bit..
This may sound really stupid (and it may be), but...you don't happen to have flourescent lighting in the room with your RPTV, do you?

--KS

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Have you tried DVI?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No to fluorescent lighting. I have fluorescent lighting at work and can see the "flickering" they produce. I do have dvi on my video card, but a dvi->hdmi cables are so friggin' expensive. I was using component. I may just get a dvi->hdmi cable at a store I know I can return it to just to try it out. Its worth a shot. Need to play around with Pstrip also...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.