AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to HTPC but highly interested about it.

I'm considering Samsung's dlp based TVs.

I want to know your opinions about the overall visual quality of PC gaming and web surfing (especial text clarity) on dlp tv.

DOES IT WORTH IT?

Thanx

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I have mine hooked up to my HTPC. Absolutely a breeze to set up (I had a ATI card with DVI out).

Text for web-suring and whatnot is extremely readable. It works as a very good looking monitor. Do keep in mind that you need to sit a reasonable distance away from the TV, which mitigates some of the "bigness."

Gaming - anything that runs at the TV's native resoluation of 1280x720 looks *amazing*. Keep in mind that some games take some jiggering to get into 1280x720 mode, and some won't run at that resolution at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Salmoneous!That is good news.

Is it possible to have PIP half pc (xga or dvi) and any other source (s-video or component) at the same time?

Do you have any PC DVD hardware recommendations? I will be using an ATI Radeon 9800 pro 256 meg video card.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Unfortunately, DVI and PC(VGA) inputs cannot be put in a PIP window. The only thing you can do with them is overlay a cable/composite/s-video window over DVI or VGA in one of the corners.

9800 is an excellent card for HTPC use. The actual DVD-drive itself isn't that important (i.e. all are pretty good.) The big issues for most people are the software and control methods. Lot's of good info in the HTPC forum if you want to get into it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Agreed with Salmoneous, text looks great at 1280x720 native resolution. I have the desktop font size cranked up cause it's hard to see from 14' away, but it really is incredibly sharp. By the way, you can't use the monitor out channels for the sub-window (when it's overlayed on the PC or DVI main window), so you'll have to use the internal TV speaker when listening to the sub window in this mode.

I use a cheap nVidia fx5200 card. It directly supports 1280x720 without Powerstrip under Windows XP with the latest nVidia drivers....

Marc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you guys.

It helped a lot 'cause I was wondering how I would persuade the salesman to show it off when a fraction of 'em have their sets connected with cheap cables with poor contrast and colors setups which is something I get mad about. Hey, Aren't they supposed to make it look great at this price range?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.