AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have my laptop hooked up via component cables to my Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV running at 1080i.

I am wondering what the best settings are for my computer. If I'm sending a 1080i signal to my Sharp TV which is 1080p full HD, then isn't it converting it to 1080p and doing de-interlacing itself? So won't it mess the picture up by de-interlacing on the PC first?

I'm a little confused. Right now I have Purevideo, AC3 Filter, Haali Media splitter, and MKV codec to play all my high def. videos. It looks amazing, but am is ther anything I need to change in order to be setup perfect???

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster /forum/post/0

If you deinterlace on the PC, you're actually then sending a progressive signal to the Sharp, which won't then try deinterlace again.

Not true becuase he's sending an interlaced signal to the TV.

So yes if your mpeg decoders are de-interlacing the signal then what is happening is your video card is re-interlacing the signal so technically your doing twice the work.

Have you thought about using DVI or VGA to send to the TV in full 1080p instead?

- Josh

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that would be perfect, but I am using my laptop and it does not have a DVI out and also my TV does not have a VGA in.

So the only option is to use a dongle out from the s-video that converts to component, and then I run that.

So what do you think I should do? Should I just turn de-interlacing off in the purevideo codec? What about the other mkv files that don't use purevideo, how do I turn off de-interlacing then and should I even?

Anyone know about this kind of thing. Sending a 1080i signal from a comp. to a 1080p TV???

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi there

If you're using the s-video port on your laptop, wouldn't that video signal be just 480i?

And exactly what signal is received by the TV?

"Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV running at 1080i"

Does that mean it's receiving 1080i or is it displaying 1080i?

Have you considered a VGA to component converter?

Regards

·
Registered
684 Posts
If your desktop is set to anything other than a 480 resolution (854x480, 856 x 480 or 640x480) then you have to deinterlace on the PC for DVD's. Otherwise you'll get inconsistent artifacts of some lines getting through to the TV and some not.

Sometimes i'll look good, sometimes some shows will look good then bad. sometimes the video will tooth inconsistently.

If the source is 1080i then you there's a good chance none of the artifacts will appear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what you mean. Maybe I'll just leave it the way it is because it looks amazing so far!

Think of it this way. I have my laptop hooked up to my HDTV and the computer is outputting 1080i and my TV is receiving the 1080i signal.

I will be watching DVD's, but mostly 720p and 1080i video on my TV from my laptop. It really looks amazing, so I might not have to do anything. I just wanted to know if there were any settings I needed to disable since I was displaying it on my HDTV interlaced?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybadoey /forum/post/0

I just wanted to know if there were any settings I needed to disable since I was displaying it on my HDTV interlaced?

Not really, without some special care, everything on the PC is scaled before output, and deinterlacing must be done before scaling for scaling to look/work right.

Sounds like you're golden.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You do not have a S-Video connector you have a 7 pin Din connector whcih is almost identicaal and which supports both S-Video and Component.

Your PC has to de-interlaced the video in order to scale it to another resolution or to use it with a PC monitor. Top quality PC-deinterlacing and motion compensation done in the PC will create progressive video output which when re-interlaced needs little or no motion compensation applied when de-interlaced again so no degradation of PQ occurs due to the second de-interlacing.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Also note, even if you did use DVI, the question becomes:

Does your graphics card do a better job de-interlacing than your display does? That is simple trial and error.

I say leave it be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.