AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just thumbing through a computer catalog looking at the lcd projectors... and well.. dreaming of a few extra dollars to buy one now. i happened to stumble across a " video scan converter"

i went to the website and took a look at this. thy had a couple models. a usb model, a pci card, and a "standard" model. here is what they say about them:

"........This incredible technology encompasses the essence of PC-to-TV convergence. With FOCUS’ exciting new Digital Video Processing technology, you’ll get unsurpassed picture quality and clarity every time. The Gold supports resolutions up to 1600x1280 at millions of colors on both Windows™ and MacOS™ platforms. It includes a remote control which allows for 2x zoom with pan control, as well as TrueScale™ image compression for accurate image display."

now.... my htpc... is basically just a mp3 server. id like it to be more, but having only a sony analog tv, im limited on what else i can do with this. soooooooooo the big questions is..... will this help make viewing musicmatch, the windows desktop, and other basic functions truly more clear? im not looking for perfection here. i know everyone will say i need a FP source, but i cant afford it now. id really just like to clear up what i have now.... and in the furture.... set up a fp system.

please give me your opinions on this.

thanks

the website:

http://www.focusinfo.com/products/tv...tview_gold.htm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chrisss the Focus gold was elminated by me as a not so superior connection, for my HDTV doesn't have a vga input. High Band Component video is also missing, which I would want. This idea from Focus is not new I had worked with the various models in 1999. Since that time you see that Focus has 'not' added the HB Component video Y-Pr-Pb, if they want to sell a product to me, they must have what I want and they don't!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Chris -

I dont think this thing is going to do what you want -

Your TV is still only going to give you 480 scanlines.

It may be clearer than using some Brooktree TV out chip, but the resolution isn't going to be 1600x1200 - or anywhere near that..

The card will accept those resolutions from a graphics adapter, but it has to knock it down to a 15.75kHz scanrate for regular NTSC tv sets....Which means 640x480...

-Ryan

·
Registered
257 Posts
Chris:

I just ordered one yesterday! I should get it in a few days. I have one purpose, I want to be able to surf the net (cable modem) in my living room on my analog 36" tube TV. I can't afford a digital set right now, so this was the only way I could go.

In my research, this unit is supposed to be one of the better ones for performing this function - I've never seen one in action. I hope that text will be legible. I'll post a review once I have it hooked up.

Rich B.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for the input!

rich.. i am very eager to hear your report. it sounds like we both want to accomplish pretty much the same thing. i was going to purchase one with the hopes to return it if its not what i expected. i think i might wait for your review. i seached a while for online reviews, but there werent any.

ryandinan-- im really only looking for a more clear picture. i realize im only going to get 640 and im okay with that. it would just be nice to be able to read it better.

is the video out on a graphics card doing the very same thing the scan converter is?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.