AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've been using a WinXP tower to stream video to a Vizio Model M320 SL 1920 x 1080 screen for a TV.  It's nice to have a wireless keyboard with track pad to use as a "remote control".  We only use our internet access, no paid for cable.  Also, I have some Creative Labs speakers. We don't need anything fancy, but enough to power the screen and speakers. This PC locks up occassionally and the support for security on XP is gone in a few weeks, so.....

I'd like to find a new tower, maybe Windows 7, but I'm unfamiliar with what I need in terms of hardware to make sure it won't lock up again.  That's been irritating.  I'm thinking I should be able to get some box for around $100 or less used.

I'm also open to Chrome OS or Linux, but it would have to be all set up for me.  All we would do is use a browser to go to Netflix, YouTube, Hulu and other sites that we watch streaming, no other computer work but that.  I suppose long term, putting in a Blue Ray drive would be nice, but not if it jacks up the price today.  Specific links to towers on ebay would be nice, or if you guys have parts or an old box laying around.....    Oh, also, a wireless card to handle the streaming.

Suggestions?

Answers?

Do you have a PC minus monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
How about looking at a Roku? A Roku supports all of the streaming sites you've listed. Or you could go for a blu-ray player that has built in streaming. If you don't have a wireless internet setup you can usually find these products with a built-in ethernet port.

Why pay for the hassle of a htpc if you are not going to fully use it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts