AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a question that I'm hoping is not too stupid. I'll try to be to the point, and any insights would greatly be appreciated. I recently built a HTPC with a HDHomeRun external tuner card. In short, my HTPC runs Vista Ultimate w WMC, and I have Cox as my cable provider. Also, I'm located in San Diego, CA.

Question relates to the number of channels that I could or should receive through my HTPC. My scan results using HDHomeRun and/or WMC results in only 15 channels, all of which are standard local channels (CBS, ABC, FOX). I regularly receive 700+ channels through my set-top box and approximately 70+ channels with a wall coaxial cable connected directly to my Samsung LNT5271F. The Samsung had to scan the channels just like the HTPC's process.

I understand that there are differences between encrypted/unencrypted channels and between analog and digital cable signals. But why is my Samsung able to receive 70+ channels (including MTV, Discovery, A&E, History) with its built-in tuner while my HDHomeRun can barely receive 15 channels? I know that HDHomeRun only picks up digital channels, but there's still a big difference between the number of channels that I'm able to receive.

In essence, what's the main difference between a high-end PC Tuner Card and a built-in cable ready TV tuner (in this case, the built-in tuner that came with the 5271F)? Is there anything that I could buy in order for my HTPC to capture more channels (i.e. Hauppauge 1600/1800?)?

·
Registered
912 Posts
You basically answered your own questions. All channels between 2 and 78 are analog. Your TV tuner can pick these up while the HDHomerun can't. Add an analog tuner card and you will get the exact same channels as your tv does now. I use the HDHomerun for the digital channels and a Hauppauage PVR-150 for the analog channels. They work seamlessly together in VMC and this allows me to record two digital channels and one analog channels at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuStaduSt /forum/post/14195780

I regularly receive 700+ channels through my set-top box

I'm in the same boat as you. The big question I'm trying to figure out is what card do you use to receive all the channels your set top box gets? Is there any way at all?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesky /forum/post/14196875

I'm in the same boat as you. The big question I'm trying to figure out is what card do you use to receive all the channels your set top box gets? Is there any way at all?

Cable card tuner. However the ONLY way to get that is by purchasing a pre-built OEM pc from manufactures like Dell, Gateway, HP, Velocity Micro, ect....

You can't build your own PC and use cable card, currently NO way to do that.

You can also do the R5000 mod: http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000/home.htm which mods a cable box, adds usb to it, and then allows you to get those channels.

Another option is to take your cable box, get a Hauppage HDPVR, which can capture component video, hook up your cable box to the HDPVR and then get the channels that way.

But there is NO stand alone tuner card that will work like a cable box to de-crypt channels like your cable box does.

- Josh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor /forum/post/14196788

You basically answered your own questions. All channels between 2 and 78 are analog. Your TV tuner can pick these up while the HDHomerun can't. Add an analog tuner card and you will get the exact same channels as your tv does now. I use the HDHomerun for the digital channels and a Hauppauage PVR-150 for the analog channels. They work seamlessly together in VMC and this allows me to record two digital channels and one analog channels at the same time.

Thanks for your response. So MTV, Discovery, A&E, History are all broadcasted in analog? I was under the impression that they may be encrypted or something else. If your PVR-150 picks up these channels, then you definitely answered my question and I'll be off to pick one up! If not, I just wonder how a regular internal TV tuner can pick up these channels (i don't think my TV has a built-in CableCard) and advanced tuners for PCs cannot.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuStaduSt /forum/post/14197447

Thanks for your response. So MTV, Discovery, A&E, History are all broadcasted in analog? I was under the impression that they may be encrypted or something else. If your PVR-150 picks up these channels, then you definitely answered my question and I'll be off to pick one up! If not, I just wonder how a regular internal TV tuner can pick up these channels (i don't think my TV has a built-in CableCard) and advanced tuners for PCs cannot.

Yes. Analog is the standard cable that is been around for years. There are still millions of standard TVs out there that are hooked up directly to the cable wall jack (without an STB) and they can only pick-up analog channels. Digital cable is only been around a few years and always requires a STB to decrypt the channels. There is no good (cheap way) around this.

If you want to be sure exactly what analog channels are available in your area, connect a regular TV or VCR to your wall jack and scan for channels. This will tell you exactly what channels an analog tuner will pick up for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuStaduSt /forum/post/14197447

Thanks for your response. So MTV, Discovery, A&E, History are all broadcasted in analog?

Yes, as others have mentioned, all channels below 100 are analog and will be picked up with a basic analog tuner (like the one in your TV, or any basic analog pc tuner).
Quote:
I was under the impression that they may be encrypted or something else. If your PVR-150 picks up these channels, then you definitely answered my question and I'll be off to pick one up!

yes, go pick one up. It will work

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your set has a Hybrid tuner that can tune NTSC ATSC and QAM from one tuner and the firmware supports seamless switching from analog to digital. Some sets with Hybrid tuners still require the use of a A /D signal from the remote to switch from ATSC / NTSC for OTA or NTSC / QAM from a cable feed.

There are plenty of Hybrid PC tuners that operate in the same manner within their own and some other's software, but no Hybrid function is supported in Windows Media Center. The lack of Hybrid support IMO is based on MCE being developed primarily for recording and using a tuner in such a manner will certainly cause recording conflicts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts