AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to connect PC with AV receiver via Optical cable. PC does not have S/PDIF output but I have cheap old USB soundcard Audiotrack Maya U5 with S/PDIF out, which I want to use as a proxy. I want to connect it this way:

PC(USB) - (USB) Maya U5 (S/PDIF) - (S/PDIF) AV Receiver

My question is - does this USB soundcard is changing signal somehow in such a connection or is working just as a proxy and does not change anything?
I am wondering if USB Sound Card signal which it receives on USB port will be pushed without any any sound changes created by sound card processor into S/PDIF out?

Dasically I want to use this USB Soundcard not as a soundcard but as signal converter from USB into S/PDIF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to connect PC with AV receiver via Optical cable. PC does not have S/PDIF output but I have cheap old USB soundcard Audiotrack Maya U5 with S/PDIF out, which I want to use as a proxy. I want to connect it this way:

PC(USB) - (USB) Maya U5 (S/PDIF) - (S/PDIF) AV Receiver

My question is - does this USB soundcard is changing signal somehow in such a connection or is working just as a proxy and does not change anything?
I am wondering if USB Sound Card signal which it receives on USB port will be pushed without any any sound changes created by sound card processor into S/PDIF out?

Dasically I want to use this USB Soundcard not as a soundcard but as signal converter from USB into S/PDIF
One more think - of course I want my AV receiver to decode sound, not this USB soundcard

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
Do your PC and AVR support HDMI? If so, that will be the best way to connect and send audio.

Otherwise, what you proposed will work in some fashion as long as you can force the software of your choice to bitstream DTS or Dolby Digital audio. For everything else, you will be limited to 2-ch stereo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do your PC and AVR support HDMI? If so, that will be the best way to connect and send audio.

Otherwise, what you proposed will work in some fashion as long as you can force the software of your choice to bitstream DTS or Dolby Digital audio. For everything else, you will be limited to 2-ch stereo.
Right now I have my PC connected to this AVR via HDMI, sound is great, but in the future I may switch from AVR to stereo amplifier, so this optical cable is for "future".

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Optical is just fine for stereo. (forget it for multi-channel, HDMI is much better for that).

Most motherboards have optical out too these days so you can skip the USB sound card entirely.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Right now I have my PC connected to this AVR via HDMI, sound is great, but in the future I may switch from AVR to stereo amplifier, so this optical cable is for "future".
You can always just use standard RCA cables from the onboard audio. Chances are your stereo amp will not support digital audio (most don't) so you will have to give it analog audio anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys thants for all replays but my question is a bit different :)
I am wondering if connection I have presented earlier with USB soundcard will cause sound to be decoded 2 times - firstly on USB soundcard and secondly on AV Receiver (or Stereo Receiver).
This USB soundcard is producing poor sound (when active speakers are connected to it) so I dont wanna use its sound processing abilities, just want to use it as a proxy (USB-SPDIF) without signalchanges

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am wondering if connection I have presented earlier with USB soundcard will cause sound to be decoded 2 times - firstly on USB soundcard and secondly on AV Receiver (or Stereo Receiver).
This USB soundcard is producing poor sound (when active speakers are connected to it) so I dont wanna use its sound processing abilities, just want to use it as a proxy (USB-SPDIF) without signalchanges
lets assume, I dont want use HDMI cable at all. Stereo receivers does not have it..so that is main reason I want to use optical cable.
My intention is - pass completely digital format sound from PC to (stereo) receiver, so no RCA cable.

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
There is no such thing as decode twice. optical cable carries digital audio (2-ch PCM, DD or DTS). If your sound card, actually your PC processor, decodes DD or DTS to PCM, it will send over to your receiver as 2-ch PCM (you lost surround sound) and there is nothing more to decode for AV receiver. If you bitstream, the AV receiver do all the decoding.

Sound like you want to avoid the poor analog sound quality of the sound card. In this case, since you only use the digital audio, the analog section of the sound card is never used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts