AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to connect a HTPC to my older HD TV. The specifics if anyone needs them are this:

HTPC is an Aspire Revo 3610 with a Nvidia graphics card (has VGA and HDMI out)

TV is a Mitsubishi WS-65809. This TV has RGB-HV ports on the back which the instructions say are capable of 1080i.

I have purchased a VGA breakout cable and connected the DB-15 plug on the computer to the RGB-HV plugs on the TV. I'm getting some flashing on the TV, but nothing useful.

I have read that for these older TVs to decipher the signal, it needs to be 1080i. Is there a way to set the output of the computer to that resolution and refresh rate? I have also read that TVs need a refresh rate of 30 Hz, and the lowest the computer goes is 60 Hz. Is there some way to change my computer output to match what the TV is looking for?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Change to the VGA mode when going to Windows (640x480), once you get the picture you will be able to change the resolution to whatever your TV supports, including 1080i.

Been there, done this to my long gone Sony 61HS10.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you elaborate on the i(interlaced)? Is VGA automatically interlaced, or do I need to set that somehow. Also, how does the refresh rate affect the connection. Should the lowest available refresh rate of my HTPC (60 Hz) work for the TV which calls for 30 Hz?

I guess I'll find out when I try. Just wondering if I might need some kind of software to slow down my refresh rate.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
It appears that the ports on the back of your may be for YPrPb component video and notfor RGB component video which is a subset of VGA. These two different versions of component do use the same cables whiich have Red, Green, and Blue connectors which often causes confusion,

What you have read is that 1080i/60 contains 30 full frames per second when de-interlaced this does not mean that you need a TV that will refresh at only 30fps.

Acording to the following link your TV does in fact have component video which also makes sense since it will accept 1080i which is not normally availabe with VGA since almost all VGA interfaces use progressive scan only. It also appears that when it acceps 1080i content that it downscales it to 480i since there is not indicatriont that it scan at a higher resolution.

http://www.avguide.com/product/mitsubishi/ws-65809

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, pretty sure that this is RGB-HV. Below is a quote from the instruction manual:

This input is also compatible with some DTV

receivers using RGB with “sync on green”

or RGB with “separate H and V sync”. Compatible

DTV signals are SDTV 480i, 480p,

and HDTV 1080i.

Also, while I'm at it, here are the specs for the RGB-HV connections:

Input Levels and Timing When Used

With RGB Video Signals

G (Y) =1.0Vp-p 75ohms (compatible with sync on

green)

R (Pr) =700mVp-p, 75ohms

B (Pb) =700mVp-p, 75ohms

H =3Vp-p+/-1.0v, 75ohms

(when using separate H and V sync)

V =3Vp-p+/-1.0v, 75ohms

(when using separate H and V sync)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Is the breakoutr cable a 5 or 3 wire? Most people try to use the 3 wire (most common)when they need the 5 wire. When connecting to a older set it's best to use a PC that can accomidate a conventional video card. A conventional card can have a component out which is compatible with older sets.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18149426

I think you need a 5wire cable like the following one:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/vgamato5rcar.html

That's a good cable, however it is an overkill for him.

He's got his RGBHV already.

In any case $5 cable from the fleebay would do it too.

@OP:if you can see the picture in the VGA mode, you are golden. You can go from there. It is 480i btw. Just make sure H is going to H and V is going to V. Those are marked voluntarily so just rtf on both the cable and the TV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.