AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Samsung HLNs today, and noticed there is a VGA-looking input on it that is labeled as PC. Anyone know what this exact input type is and what it's limitations are compared to the DVI input? And would it work better for a PC hookup then the DVI input?

Thanks

Les

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The PC/VGA input works great for connecting to PC's. Make sure your video card supports 1280x720 resolution - all ATI cards 8500 or above do.

DVI is all digital, and it actually provides better PQ than VGA - but not by a big margin. The problem is that you have only one of each port, and you need to figure out the best use for each one.

All of these ATI cards also have DVI output, so you can connect to PC's using the DVI port also. However, you may want to use the DVI port to connect to other high quality sources (e.g. HD tuner, Bravo D1 DVD player, Samsung 931 DVD player, ...).

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a ATI AIW Radeon (the old old one) and it has the DVI port on it. I tried to connect to my sammy hlm 50" and it didn't work. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arungupta
The PC/VGA input works great for connecting to PC's. Make sure your video card supports 1280x720 resolution - all ATI cards 8500 or above do.

DVI is all digital, and it actually provides better PQ than VGA - but not by a big margin. The problem is that you have only one of each port, and you need to figure out the best use for each one.
I would tend to disagree with the statement that DVI is only marginally better. I would say that it is like night and day on the Samsung. The DVI is fabulous while the VGA is just eh.

Cheers,

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.