AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an HP small form factor I use to stream youtube and play my rips. I added an AMD Radeon HD 6450 to get HDMI output. This is after I tried an NVIDIA video card. I have the same issue with both. The only option I can see is 2 channels max and stereo only.
What do I do to get the PC to send 5.1 to the HDMI switcher which extracts audio for the pre/pro. The pre/pro does not support video. HDMI video goes to dumb projector from the switcher.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
You should see an option under sound settings for hdmi audio for 2 vs multi channel

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
actually, i think i want bitstream, not a processed 5.1 if that is what that is
malekoman,

On Windows 10, the media player MPC-BE can bitstream audio from ripped files. There are internal filter settings for HDMI pass-through of AC-3, E-AC-3, TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD.

My configuration notes are from 2019:
---------- Windows 10 PC

SOUND OUTPUT DEVICE
DENON-AVR (2- NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Master Volume = 100

SOUND CONTROL PANEL
denon-AVR
2- NVIDIA high definition audio
Default device
NOT Realtek audio {for SP/DIF}

SPEAKER SETUP
config: 5.1 surround
with center, subwoofer, and side pair
No full-range speakers

NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO PROPERTIES
driver provider: NVIDIA corporation
24-JUL-19 version 1.3.38.16

SUPPORTED FORMATS
max channels=8
HDCP supported
Bit-depths 16 & 24
sample rates (kHz)
32.0 44.1 48.0 88.2 96.0 176.4 192.0
Encoded formats
DTS-audio DTS-HD
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus Dolby TrueHD

SOUND PROPERTIES
levels=100
enhancements = none
default=16 bit 48000Hz (DVD quality)
yes, allow exclusive control
Yes, give exclusive applications priority
Spatial sound = off

---------- MPC-BE media player

AUDIO RENDERER is "2. DirectSound: DENON-AVR (2- NVIDIA High Definition Audio)"

INTERNAL FILTERS
source: all checked
video decoders: all checked
audio decoders: all checked
pass-through (S/PDIF, HDMI) checked:
AC-3 E-AC-3 TrueHD DTS DTS-HD

MENU BAR VIEW ?? --> renderer settings -->
presentation--> exclusive fullscreen

MPC-BE (64-bit) 1.5.3 (build 4488)

---------- SOMEPLACE
SAID "Bit-Perfect"
but I don't remember where ....

I'm pretty sure the native app (Movies & TV ?) worked before MPC-BE did. I'm using MPC-BE because it's easy to control with a Harmony remote.

(I don't know what to do for YouTube.)

Carl

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carl, thank you so much. I did find another thread that described what you said, yours is more detailed. I will check the settings again tonight. When i finished the settings from the other thread, before i saw yours, at the last window underneath all th check boxes the status says "The decoder is not active." What does that mean?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have an HP small form factor I use to stream youtube and play my rips. I added an AMD Radeon HD 6450 to get HDMI output. This is after I tried an NVIDIA video card. I have the same issue with both. The only option I can see is 2 channels max and stereo only.
What do I do to get the PC to send 5.1 to the HDMI switcher which extracts audio for the pre/pro. The pre/pro does not support video. HDMI video goes to dumb projector from the switcher.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
What are you connecting it to?

The reason it's not working is probably because of whatever is receiving the audio not the computer.

I use a similar solution it allows me to bitstream. Only optical locks me to stereo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you connecting it to?

The reason it's not working is probably because of whatever is receiving the audio not the computer.

I use a similar solution it allows me to bitstream. Only optical locks me to stereo
4x2 matrix switcher with audio extractor. i think the pc thinks it's connected to the projector because it says "Epson PJ" and not "Unknown Generic Chinese Switcher". It works great with all the other sources except the PC. I don't want the PC to think anything. It just needs to send bitstream without trying to match to anything right?

·
Registered
442 Posts
4x2 matrix switcher with audio extractor. i think the pc thinks it's connected to the projector because it says "Epson PJ" and not "Unknown Generic Chinese Switcher". It works great with all the other sources except the PC. I don't want the PC to think anything. It just needs to send bitstream without trying to match to anything right?
That is how mine defaults in HDMI, but as Twining said there are software solutions as well.

Try it with something like mad vr/mpc and see if you can get it to output a direct stream with multiple channels. Check a bluray for truehd or whatever.

You can output video and audio on separate outputs.

Send video to the matrix send audio direct to your receiver if the software solutions don't work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is how mine defaults in HDMI, but as Twining said there are software solutions as well.

Try it with something like mad vr/mpc and see if you can get it to output a direct stream with multiple channels. Check a bluray for truehd or whatever.

You can output video and audio on separate outputs.

Send video to the matrix send audio direct to your receiver if the software solutions don't work.
"send audio direct to your receiver..."
how do i do this? The video card is HDMI out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well yes I would not need the switcher if I had an audio video receiver. The whole point of my request for assistance is that I have a preamp processor that does not support video. It is audio circuitry only.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well yes I would not need the switcher if I had an audio video receiver. The whole point of my request for assistance is that I have a preamp processor that does not support video. It is audio circuitry only.
Well that's the point dude i don't have a way to change the way the device works. It sounds like it's not even hand shaking it's just letting your projector do it or whatever based on unknown rules. You might have to get in tehre and change the firmware to get the splitter to do the handshake if that's even possible. Or put in some controls so you point it at the right devices idk.

You're talking about an engineers work. I gave you the level 1 IT work around. I understand what you want but that is vastly beyond my technical expertise to give you and probably beyond yours to implement.

Plug two separate outputs into the splitter if you want. That might work. Who knows how the thing works. Try it if you have not, you should have. If you've been trying to get your matrix to split the audio and video feed i have no words....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that's the point dude i don't have a way to change the way the device works. It sounds like it's not even hand shaking it's just letting your projector do it or whatever bad on unknown rules. You might have to get in tehre and change the firmware to get the splitter to do the handshake if that's even possible. Or put in some controls so you point it at the right devices idk.

You're talking about an engineers work. I gave you the level 1 IT work around. I understand what you want but that is vastly beyond my technical expertise to give you and probably beyond yours to implement.

Plug two separate outputs into the splitter if you want. That might work. Who knows how the thing works. Try it if you have not, you should have. If you've been trying to get your matrix to split the audio and video feed i have no words....
i will try the settings in
Well that's the point dude i don't have a way to change the way the device works. It sounds like it's not even hand shaking it's just letting your projector do it or whatever based on unknown rules. You might have to get in tehre and change the firmware to get the splitter to do the handshake if that's even possible. Or put in some controls so you point it at the right devices idk.

I just learned about MPC BE yesterday. I am going to try to let that be the player. I have been using Kodi and VLC without DTS and Dolby digital audio. My goal is to listen to movies in the correct format in my 5.1 audio system. I thought it would be as simple as adding an HDMI video card to my PC that I was just using VGA out from the motherboard and stereo analog audio out.
I will not be trying to hack the switcher for any reason. It passes digital PCM audio because that is what the video card is sending it. If I can figure out how to configure the PC to send the native bitstream of the file format, just like the other devices in the system, the switcher will pass that and extract it to my preamp processor that has the DAC.
What I found out is that a computer will not let you set manually the output like a Blu-ray player or satellite receiver or high-end audio disc player for a novice like me. I guess it is trying to be smart and tell me what I need. The IT portion of this is my weakness.
Besides that, I really don't understand when you said I can send audio separately from video when the video card has one HDMI output. I am just not seeing that diagram in my head. The switcher is what is doing that for me with all of my devices. It is sending video to the projector and audio to my preamp processor using an HDMI input and an HDMI output with a toslink output separate.
I think I need to go back to the MPCBE settings and figure that out.
I did not think this would be so difficult to do. I do not understand the logic behind making this a chore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i will try the settings in

I just learned about MPC BE yesterday. I am going to try to let that be the player. I have been using Kodi and VLC without DTS and Dolby digital audio. My goal is to listen to movies in the correct format in my 5.1 audio system. I thought it would be as simple as adding an HDMI video card to my PC that I was just using VGA out from the motherboard and stereo analog audio out.
I will not be trying to hack the switcher for any reason. It passes digital PCM audio because that is what the video card is sending it. If I can figure out how to configure the PC to send the native bitstream of the file format, just like the other devices in the system, the switcher will pass that and extract it to my preamp processor that has the DAC.
What I found out is that a computer will not let you set manually the output like a Blu-ray player or satellite receiver or high-end audio disc player for a novice like me. I guess it is trying to be smart and tell me what I need. The IT portion of this is my weakness.
Besides that, I really don't understand when you said I can send audio separately from video when the video card has one HDMI output. I am just not seeing that diagram in my head. The switcher is what is doing that for me with all of my devices. It is sending video to the projector and audio to my preamp processor using an HDMI input and an HDMI output with a toslink output separate.
I think I need to go back to the MPCBE settings and figure that out.
I did not think this would be so difficult to do. I do not understand the logic behind making this a chore.
I don't mean you are making this a chore. I am saying configuring a PC for bitstream output is a chore. 😀

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your goal is to have two outputs from your GPU

One for audio - which should go through to the receiver

One for video - which will go to the projector

Then it will work. If your matrix allows you to be in that configuration anyway. If it doesn't.....IDK

You say there is an audio extractor clearly it's not gonna work, it's not handshaking with the PC you need to tell the GPU what audio the receiver is capable of receiving.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you tried rebooting the computer with the projector disconnected. That might change the edid of the switcher to the audio extractor, enabling 5.1 output (and bitstreaming for applications that support it).
If that doesn't work, you could add an inexpensive audio card to the htpc to in essence unlink them.
Finally, you might consider a media streaming box. These tend to be inexpensive and many support coax/ootical output for audio and hdmi for video and can play all the formats generally that a pc can with ease.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an HP small form factor I use to stream youtube ... [in] stereo only. [How] do I get 5.1 [surround sound] ?
malekoman,

I don't know how. An old YouTube Dolby 5.1 demo streams as stereo for me (completely discarding the LFE ".1" channel), but I'm not sure it ever worked.

In February 2020, Mark Hadley left a worrisome post on a Google support forum:

" I used to get 5.1 surround sound from the YouTube app on my Samsung TV to my Bose Soundbar. At about the time you mentioned (late 2019), it stopped working ."

Carl

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your goal is to have two outputs from your GPU

One for audio - which should go through to the receiver

One for video - which will go to the projector

Then it will work. If your matrix allows you to be in that configuration anyway. If it doesn't.....IDK

You say there is an audio extractor clearly it's not gonna work, it's not handshaking with the PC you need to tell the GPU what audio the receiver is capable of receiving.
So I need a different GPU, one with a S/PDIF output and a DVI or HDMI output.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you tried rebooting the computer with the projector disconnected. That might change the edid of the switcher to the audio extractor, enabling 5.1 output (and bitstreaming for applications that support it).
If that doesn't work, you could add an inexpensive audio card to the htpc to in essence unlink them.
Finally, you might consider a media streaming box. These tend to be inexpensive and many support coax/ootical output for audio and hdmi for video and can play all the formats generally that a pc can with ease.

I have not tried this. Also, i could try to use the on board VGA while using the GPU HDMI for the audio with the projector disconnected to see if that reacts differently.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts